I'm about to pull my hair out :mad: so I hope someone can offer some
advice... I bought a Dell Laptop (through the business) 15 months
ago (12 month warranty!) and it's now totally dead, I can't even turn
it on. I've been trying to get on to dell technicial support all morning
and I must have called at least 20 times and let it ring out until it
cut itself off. Don't really know where to turn next, I'm looking for
the support email address but I guess it's going to cost me an
arm and a leg to fix as the warranty is out by 3 months !!! that annoys
me a great deal as it was a high end model costing over E2,000.

any useful advice is much appreciated:D

don't they offer an extended warranty to you after the org expired?

tv3 had a guy on the other monning about consumer rights. you can ignore the warrenty because an item of that cost should be expected to work for upto 6 years. you are entitled to a repair at the least. check out the consumer rights web site. the chap then said if the company gives you grief you can take a claim against them to the small claims court. this can be done on-line and costs €20. most things are settled before going to court.

the chap then said if the company gives you grief you can take a claim against them to the small claims court. this can be done on-line and costs €20. most things are settled before going to court.
The Small Claims Court only deals with consumer to business issues - this seems to be a business (to business) purchase so would fall outside of their remit. And it costs [broken link removed] not €20 to file a SCC claim.

does not sound like a business to business transactoin. usually most biggish companies would have some 3rd party support companies to handle IT faults.

actually he does say "through the business".
Dell usually have different support numbers for "business" customers that may be able to help.

Thanks for the responses, I did get the Laptop through the business
but as we're a small business we have no support company to
handle IT faults. The battery isn't the problem, replaced it and tried
two different mains adaptors. Does the fact that we a not a Ltd
company matter re the SCC?

We have bought all our other pc's with dell, can I expect any favours
from them because of this? (not holding my breath!!!)

Does the fact that we a not a Ltd
company matter re the SCC?
I don't think so. If it's a business purchase then they will not deal with it. Whose name is on the invoice - an individual's or the business's?
We have bought all our other pc's with dell, can I expect any favours
from them because of this? (not holding my breath!!!)
Why not persist in trying to get onto Dell support before second guessing their response to your enquiry?

for the sake of a follow up, dell resolved the problem and the
technician I had helping me in India couldn't have been more
helpful. They get my reccommendation. :D

i would suspect its the battery, as Dell had a Battery recall few months back.

while you're on about laptops, my dads is about 14 months old and last week it started not seeing the harddrive. when you boot it says it cannot see the hard drive. the dell guy on the phone said to take out the harddrive and put it back in which i did and it still doesn't work. he says i'll need a new drive at 250e or there abouts. my question is, can i get a generic drive from someone like komplett or do i HAVE to get the dell one at the price mentioned.

while you're on about laptops, my dads is about 14 months old and last week it started not seeing the harddrive. when you boot it says it cannot see the hard drive. the dell guy on the phone said to take out the harddrive and put it back in which i did and it still doesn't work. he says i'll need a new drive at 250e or there abouts. my question is, can i get a generic drive from someone like komplett or do i HAVE to get the dell one at the price mentioned.

you can get one from Komplett and the like. give them the full model number of you dell before buying so you get quoated for a compatible one.

Back