Dell Vs Sony Laptops

K

kgleeso

Hi,

Perhaps someone can help me. Not very techno minded. Am looking at buying a new laptop which will be mainly used for media/presentation/ running an interactive whiteboard off. Can someone in the know advise me of the disadvantage and advantage of the above two makes..... Am looking at Sony's VAIO VGN-CR42Z/R and a Dell Inspiron laptop. Have used Dell before but never Sony.

Thanks

K

I would consider the Sony VAIO to be the more reliable of the 2, not least their after sales support which is excellent. I find Dell support a nightmare at the best of times. What you then should consider is processor (core 2 duo), ram (3 -4 GB), dedicated graphics card, operating system (Vista or XP).

.... Am looking at buying a new laptop which will be mainly used for media/presentation/ running an interactive whiteboard off. ....

You could use any laptop for that. You'd need to be more specific.

Both Sony and Dell have different ranges. Sony would tend to be more expensive but have better screens usually. Dells would be cheaper but better spec'd. Support would probably be better with Sony. I'd probably go with the Sony unless there was something that the Dell had that the Sony didn't, and I was happy paying the premium for the Sony.

You could use any laptop for that. You'd need to be more specific.

would the use of an interactive whiteboard not mean that certain specifications would be needed in a Laptop - from my understanding it may use a lot of resources when running?

You would of course be better off knowing exactly what connections you need eg. hdmi, VGA-PC, Serial Port, S-Video, 12V trigger connection maybe?

Most likely though any laptop you buy will be more than capable of running any software you may have for doing said presentations.

Its just the input/output I would research, though adapters will be available to convert most of them its a little easier to have it on the computer.

The sony:

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T8300 @2.4Ghz
4Gb ram
250Gb HD
Graphics
ATI® Mobility Radeon™ X2300

Connections

Firewire
S-Video
VGA
3x USB

Dell