Dell Vostro 1220 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ROS123

I purchased two Dell Vostro 1220 Laptops and specified win 7 ultimate which is extra becasue I wanted bitlocker encryption for security. It turned out the 2 laptops didnt have a necessary h/w component to run bitlocker security (TPM) I did verify the quote when it was sent and revceived the laptops. Its only after I got the laptops and tried turning on bitlocker that I realised it wouldn't work. They are refusing to take them back. Do I have a case on not fit for purpose or on 7 day cooling off period for purchase over the internet.

Thought this might get a response here

Classic! Dell (allegedly) selling hardware that can't run the operating system that's running on it... happened with a machine I bought a while back for Vista. Luckily I could get some extra RAM installed in it.

I think you've got a case here... if the spec. that you've got mentioned bitlocker, you've really got a case. Have you any email history with the sales person? What about the spec. that appears on their website for your machine? Does it mention bitlocker? If so - IMMEDIATELY take a copy of this page so that you can hold on to it... and then let them know you've proof that they are offering this as part of the product.

They might classify bitlocker as being an optional add-on... but since it ships with the operating system, I really think that the hardware needed for the component should be included, if they are going to include this in your operating system.

Is this not "trade-descriptions" where you say that a particular laptop can run an operating system... when it turns out that it can't run all the components of that operating-system?

I think if you make enough noise with them, they will hopefully give in.

If not, I'd recommend using a third-party drive encryption system... there might even be some open-source or free ones out there...

Just looking at the Microsoft website:

"Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature in Windows Vista Enterprise and Windows Vista Ultimate for client computers and in Windows Server 2008."

I think that's pretty un-equivocal that it's part of the operating system, and so any laptop running that OS should be able to run it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.