Dell laptop prices uncompetitive

cernunnos

Just been configuring an Inspiron laptop for a family member and it is costing me €778... bought a similar spec'd Inspiron last August and it cost me €512.
So as a person who works in IT from now on I'll be recommending people shop elsewhere as Dell have definitely lost the competitive edge.

... so they're pulling out of Ireland to make savings and then try to screw us with higher prices... get real Dell!!!

Oh dell are great for advertising 'cheap' laptops but as you know from an IT perspective Cernunnos, when you add on the so called extras they price soars - and if you want an anyway decent laptop the 'extras' are a must :rolleyes:

Dell are ok pricewise if you buy when they are running an offer, or buy off the outlet.

But if you don't shop smart and just buy at the regular price then yeah you won't get a good deal.

Dell laptops are pretty averge, not very bad but not very good. I think the quality of their screens especially if very hit and miss. That said if you get a good one, and a good price then theres nothing wrong with them.

So where else do we shop online? One thing about Dell is that their online customisation is very easy to do.... If the other suppliers had similar interfaces I would be much more inclined to buy from them

Any suggested alternatives?

Try a Lenovo Thinkpad, or a Toshiba if you want good build quality and specification.

Try Acer or Asus for lower prices and take the risk.

The BIL has an Acer of Asus PC [can't remember which] and swears by it.

FWIW

ONQ

i bought a toshiba netbook 100 for 99 euro through the "Hardly Normal"(harvey norman) offer when you sign up to eircom broadband. got 200 euro off it...excellent little netbook and very hard wearing.. would recommend toshiba over dell laptops on this experience. the equivelant with dell at the time was 449.

Back