Dell Laptop -do I need upgrade?

roxy

Hi guys, have decided to buy Dell Inspiron 1300 base model for home use, mainly internet. The salesperson told me that I need '1370 802.11 b/g' upgrade for wireless broadband because base model just has enough for dial up. This makes no sense whatsoever to me. Someone has said to me it's just a sales ploy as it's an extra €170 or so. Will wireless work with the base model, can anyone make sense of it for me, please?

Can you provide a link to the Dell product pages for the base model and the upgrade option?

Also, do you have broadband or a wireless network at the moment?

According to the Dell website for the Inspiron 1300 base , there is no extra charge for the "Dell Wireless 1370" option for either a Celeron or Pentium chip
Dell said:
For Pentium® M Processors - Dell™ Wireless 1370 802.11b/g Mini PCI Card add € 0.00
For Celeron® M Processors - Dell™ Wireless 1370 802.11b/g Mini PCI Card [Included in Price]

The links are for (slightly) different models but there is no extra charge for the wireless option in either - I think your 'someone' has been telling porkies, or else they may have been charged that price some time ago when the wireless option may have cost money.....

The sales person was right by the way, you do need this upgrade (for wireless), they didn't mention is was free

Thanks Spock, my 'someone' was right, they said I didn't have to pay extra for it, the salesperson told me its an extra €170! So will the base model work ok with wireless broadband? Do I need extra memory or any of the other things Dell say i 'need'? Sorry - I'm blinded by science with them!

She also has on the quote '512 MB, 533 mhz DDR2 SDRAM (1 X 512)

Is this anything to do with it?

512MB 533MHz Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM (1x512) [add € 114.95 or €5/month1]256MB 533MHz Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM (1x256) [Included in Price]
According to the website that should add €114.95 not €170.....
Could there be anything else included in the upgrades to add in the additional costs?

Try flicking through the website customization steps and add in exactly what is/isn't in your package and it should show you where any extras/reductions are coming from.

[If the question ment is that anything to do with allowing you to use wireless internet then no. RAM is for memory not to do with connectivity - though some setups may require larger available RAM than others I'd assume most would work fine from 256mb and shouldn't be an issue]

Thanks S.

I don't really trust the website because at one point it's €479 incl Vat & Del, next it's €515. And the girl wanted to know what price I had seen before she would process it, all very scammy to me.

Do I need the upgrade Satanta?

She also has on the quote '512 MB, 533 mhz DDR2 SDRAM (1 X 512)

Is this anything to do with it?

Yah buy memory anywhere but from dell who mug you for extras

here is a link to a €483 version WITH wireless , keep clicking go to next component , add to basket and then pay for it

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...8135&rbc=N08135&s=dhs&sbc=iedhsrsinspn_1300_3

you will need more memory to pop in, get that from here

about 512 Mb takes you to a handy 750Mb total.

cost all in €533

I don't really trust the website because at one point it's €479 incl Vat & Del, next it's €515

Dell automatically add a 1 year return-to-base warranty and this is what ups the price. if you remove it, the price will revert to €479

Brilliant, thanks 2pack and Spock, think I'll do it your way 2pack, way cheaper thanks!

So I'm taking it that the wireless will work without the extra memory but I should get it anyway?

I see, well for €50 you can't go wrong, I'll be shopping tomorrow! Once I can get the credit card out of the frozen bowl that is