dell inspiron laptop, screen goes sideways

K

kerinsp

Hi,
I bought a new dell inspiron latop at christmas running winxp. When it starts up sometimes everything on the screen is either sideways or upside down with the mouse movements all arseways too. On rebooting sometimes it rights itself but everything on the screen is magnified so it looks like you have huge icons. This is very frustrating because I have to do a system restore to get it back to normal.

I have automatic updates turned on, I run spybot regularly, I have zonelabs installed and symantec antivirus.

I notice its VERY slow on starting too and the only process I can see that hogs the virtual memory is SVCHOST which doesn't help.

Anyone any ideas on what this problem is? I think I should turn off the automatic updates myself. I have not found anything on google yet.

thanks
Paul

Have you ruled out the possibility of infection by following the advice ? If so have you tried Dell support online with your support tag to see if there are known issues or relevant fixes for your specific model?

Hi,
yes the laptop is well protected with antivirus, antispyware and a firewall and the dell support page is rubbish. I have just waisted a load of time searching there for any information (I forgot my password and they are unable to resend it due to high volumes of traffic...)
I'll try later

thanks
Paul

If you only bought it 2 months (& a bit) ago, and it doesn't work....send it back.

And make sure your new warranty runs from the date you get the replacement machine! ;)

If I were you - especially with a laptop - I'd pay the bit extra for a 3-year warranty. They're a lot more fragile (and expensive to replace parts on) than the average desktop...

Back