Dell Inspiron 17R - Spec change or not?

GuitarDave

Have been looking at the dell inspiron 17r but I have a feeling that since yesterday they've actually changed the spec without changing the price...if anyone else has been looking at buying this laptop can they tell me if the graphics card listed was at one point 3gb or always just 1gb as is listed now?

As I'm unable to post links yet it was the one for €749 that I think had the better graphics card.

Last edited:
The specs of many of the machines appear to change constantly. I have found that some times it is a case of buy or lose it. Recently you might even find they want to get Q2 figures up before the end of the month. I find that sales depts are always more flexible when the have a target to reach.
As far as laptop graphics cards is concerned 1GB is a good spec and probably for that price that is what you will get. Depends I guess what you need the graphics for games, CAD, animation, etc.
There are 3GB graphics cards which are also capable of 3D but those also requires a better screen and from what I have seen you are looking at closer to a K for that. In the XPS series such options are typical and you may find what you want in that range more easily.

GuitarDave I replied earlier but got deleted; I guess due to the
title change.

Anyways, the gist was; I have found that with Dell sometimes the spec changes perhaps due to stock levels, offers, component shortage, etc., don't know exactly the reason but it seem like if you see it buy it or loose it.

About the graphics card, a 1GB separate card is better I think than a 1GB integrated and is still a good spec. I guess it depends on what you need it for, games, 3D CAD, design, annimation. I have seen the 3GB cards you refer to also capable of 3D but requiring a better quality screen. I've not seen it in the Inspiron range but in the XPS range for sure. However I thought the price was closer to the 1K and above bracket for that configuration. I was looking only recently to nab one for myself.

Is that any better?

It is, thanks.

Try searching the Google cached version of that page, it might show you the specs advertised on previous dates.

Woodie, I've reinstated your post, let me know if you want to remove the second one.
Leo

Back