Dell Inspiron 1501 wont power up

TheShark

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 and allowed the battery to run down , now the laptop wont power up when I plug in the power unit.
I have tried removing the battery but the problem remains.
Any suggestions before I buy a new battery?

Does the laptop run when you just use the mains power?

No ,nothing at all and no lights on. I have tried another dell power unit and still nothing.

take out the battery and try again. Also check the obvious - is the socket live? are you getting the green light on the power brick? If not, no power going to the laptop.

take out the battery and try again. Also check the obvious - is the socket live? are you getting the green light on the power brick? If not, no power going to the laptop.
Tried that- still the same
, yes there is a green light on the power unit.

green light on psu means power to laptop.
if theres no lights on the laptop at all then its kaput.

the battery might have gone into over discharge mode. Leave it plugged into power for 8 hours and then try the battery mode. Try this a couple of times, as it may not kick out of discharge mode on the first go.

connections all seem to be ok , just noticed that a message "battery critically low" is on for the few seconds before it shuts down.
Will try leaving it plugged-in for 8 hours and see what happens - nothing to lose!!

Would this be any help? (sorry I'm not a techie)...

[broken link removed]

if you plug in the psu, and remove the battery then power on it should work fine. If it doesnt then either the psu of the laptop is damaged. Given that youve tried 2 psus I would presume the laptop is damaged. Have the psus been tested with another laptop?

Yes , I borrowed a friends , and mine worked on his laptop , so Im sure the power unit is ok.

then the laptop is broken. Warranty issue if its under warranty, probably not worth repairing if its not