Dell desktops - help me choose?

Shrimp

Looking to buy a Dell desktop and have spent a couple of days reading reviews on a bunch of sites, but I'm not sure which ones I can trust!Has anyone out there bought a Dell recently, up to E2000? Any recommendations?Looking for a really powerful fast machine, loads of memory and disk space, will be using it for all the basic work stuff (MS Word, Excel, email, internet, etc) but also for photo/video editing and storage, that kind of thing. Have looked at the Inspiron 531 and the XPS 720, both look good but have no clue which is the better option. Would really appreciate any tips - cheers!

Shrimp,

Why not give them a call...great sales reps! Used to work there ages ago but out of touch with whats hot! Generally speaking the very top end (XPS 720) is positioned to suit the very high tech user (using specialized, professional software packs for music, graphics, video)....believe me - these guys know who they are....they speak a different language!! Most "normal" users will find the next step down more than suitable for every day use, but can also handle video editing, photos, music etc. Get plenty of memory, a decent hard drive and some warranty and you should have a sytem that will last you years.
The Inspiron 531 looks like a great buy at 1249....we used to sell a 386 processor with 2mb ram for more than that !!

Thanks Sam! I know what you mean about the 720, it looks like something that sends rockets to the moon, or wherever they go these days, the next step down would probably do me grand. I'm just one of those suckers who convinces themselves that spending another E500, or whatever, might be worth it in the long term.....but it hasn't stopped me having to buy new PCs every couple of years! Will give them a ring, thanks again for the reply.

these days you dont have to spend more than 700 euro to get a fantastic machine. talking about 2 grand sums is madness

I recently purchased a Dell Desktop for €1130 :
Windows Vista Home Permium
Core Duo 2 processor (2.33 Ghz 1333 Mhz FSB & 4MB Cache)
Memory Dual-Channel 4096MB [4x1024] 667MHz DDR2
22" LCD
2 x340 GB Sata Drives
7.1 HD Soundcard
Video Card ATIX1300 Pro Half Height 256MB card

The Model is the Inspiron 530s , go to [broken link removed]

Back