Deleting web page?

Cracker

I received an email this afternoon to my work PC and there was a link to a website which I very stupidly opened! Anyhow I now can't get the website link off my address box. Hope I'm making sense! I have gone into tools, history and deleted all the history, however when I go to type a new web site address, the link web page that was sent to me is still visible and to be honest is not appropriate to have on a work PC. Nothing illegal or anyhting, just unprofessional and would like to be able to get rid of it.

Any advice?

webpage hijacked. see the clean pc key post to get rid of it.
Post the name of the site here for specifics and a kindly soul with not much to do on a friday afternoon may get you exact removal instructions.

Hi Car

I received an email with a link to the page ivenus.com, and clicked on it, but now everytime I go to log onto a web address, it automatically come up ivenus.com.

Hope this makes sense

Tacky though it may be, I doubt that is responsible for the browser hijack, Cracker. The link in the email may have been 'disguised'. Suggest you try the key post car mentions...

Apologies if I'm not being clear, (i'm so NOT technically minded). I can get into other websites no problem, its just that now when I type in a website address beginning with "i", it auotmatically comes up . So if logging onto www.ireland.com, you can see that I have already accessed which I wish to delete as this is a work PC.

secondly, what area of the above clean up pc link am I looking for? Sorry but as I said am not very technically minded.

so its only coming up as a site previously visited.
If youre using IE, click on tools options and "clear history", if that doesnt work, click on "delete files". theres probably finer ways of getting rid of a single file but do the above and you should be ok.
If youre using mozilla firefox, its same principle, tools> options>privacy>clear history.

You should probably run a virus and malware checkers as well, I suggest AVG and the microsoft spyware checker. Links in the clean pc post.

Presuming you're using Internet Explorer(?) — click on the 'Tools' menu, select 'Internet Options' and click on the 'Delete Cookies', 'Delete Files' and 'Clear History' buttons. If that doesn't do it, click on the 'Advanced' tab, scroll 3/4 of the way down to 'Search from the Address bar' and check 'Don't search from the Address bar'.

[Edit: post crossed with car's]

Yes, I am using Internet Explorer. I have already tried the tools in the drop sown menu and interney options. and deleted hsitroy and cookies, however this does not work. Also tried advanced key and do not search from address bar, but no luck.

Any other sugesstions?

Click on Start, then Run.
Type regedit in the box provided.
In Regedit navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Typed URLs
Then just delete the key that lists the URL (iVenus.com)

Thank you all for replies. Unfortunately nothing seems to work. once I start to type a www address beginning with "i" the ivenus link still automatically comes up.

open windows explorer. go to

C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Local Settings
click on history, select all in the right hand pane and delete.

the click on temporary internet files and do same. (not temp)

then go to the registry as hm2605 details above, press f3 to search, put in ivenus, delete all references found..

Try Tools - Internet options
Content - Auto complete
Then untick the box Auto complete for Web addresses

Content - Auto complete

Or switch to Firefox, which has a very handy "Clear Private Data" function which does exactly that. Clears history, cookies etc and stops autocompleting to sites you didn't mean to visit.

C2H5OH - thanks a million! Its seems to have worked.
Thanks again for all the replies.

Cracker

I had a look at the site in question; Frivolous certainly but harmless and hardly inappropriate would have been my opinion. As a matter of curiosity, would many workplaces have an internet policy which forbids access to tittle-tattle websites of this type ?

As a matter of general interest, theres a browser called 'browzar' which does not retain links to visited pages. saves having to clear items.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5305250.stm

Browzar is considered to be adware. I'd steer clear!

Content - Auto complete

Yup, that's it. I remember being in a friends house and his mother went to use his PC. You can guess what the auto complete was doing... very cringeworthy!