Delays in rolling out vaccine

Absolutely. I made the point earlier in this thread that Israel has a massive military infrastructure which can be used for this task and a national identity card to track people. It is ridiculous to compare us to them.

Distribution has been a model of efficiency. Vaccinations happen seven days a week in most places and even late at night. While it is a civilian operation, the army is vaccinating its own soldiers and helping with tracking and tracing infection and some logistics.

The vaccine roll out is a civilian operation in Israel - Germany is using as well soldiers for track and tracing and I do not believe that a national ID card makes a huge difference if any.

The HSE is drafting in army personal as well for helping

I get that the delay is frustrating - but per head of population, Ireland is doing better than many European countries we think of being more efficient including Germany, Finland, Netherlands, Norway. The ones ahead of us are UK, Denmark, Italy, Slovenia, Spain and Estonia (per ourworldindata.org)

I get that the delay is frustrating - but per head of population, Ireland is doing better than many European countries we think of being more efficient including Germany, Finland, Netherlands, Norway. The ones ahead of us are UK, Denmark, Italy, Slovenia, Spain and Estonia (per ourworldindata.org)

No - Germany is doing better (or numbers were updated after you checked last) - still Ireland catched up a good bit for now :)

Paywalled article in Irish Times... HSE administrators getting vaccine before GPs.

- Anger that GP's will now have to wait up to 8 weeks to get vaccinated.
- Issues with online portal. Registrations don't work. The same online portal will eventually be used to register vaccinations among members of the public.
- Promises that bookings last Monday would occur did not materialise.

Last edited:

current time to vaccinate everyone: 4.5 years at the current rate

View attachment 5238
So this isn't linked to any HSE data and it can't definitively say when you might be vaccinated.
No doubt it doesn't take any other variables into account either like increase in vaccines delivered allowing more people to be vaccinated.

I think I'll stick with my crystal ball.

So this isn't linked to any HSE data and it can't definitively say when you might be vaccinated.
No doubt it doesn't take any other variables into account either like increase in vaccines delivered allowing more people to be vaccinated.

I think I'll stick with my crystal ball.
It only takes into account the current rate - if the rate improves or worsens I assume it will be updated accordingly.
It is using data published by the government but is not an official website - the HSE would have likely trouble to set something like that up in the first place ;) nor does it shine a positive light on them

It only takes into account the current rate - if the rate improves or worsens I assume it will be updated accordingly.
It is using data published by the government but is not an official website - the HSE would have likely trouble to set something like that up in the first place ;) nor does it shine a positive light on them
In other words useless

Netherlands and Denmarks time tables for vaccinations

Was searching if Ireland has something similar but no luck so far

We don't yet know what vaccines we will have so any projection of timeline is liable to be out of date as soon as it is published. If the Astra-Zeneca vaccine is approved and if we can get the 1 million doses per month that Paul Reid said they are planning to be able to deliver monthly, then that is a complete game changer compared to any plans that rely on the Pfizer-Biontech or Moderna vaccines. Given we are barely a few weeks into vaccination and given we have been dealing with this since last March, is it not better to have a bit of patience here? I'm not saying things in Ireland are perfect but we seem to be improving after a shaky start and if we can actually deliver 1 million vaccinations per month then that should satisfy even the most impatient of people.

I spoke to a freight company about getting shipments out of the UK. They said that there is a total shop on everything due to customs issues from both the UK and Irish side. There's a shipment of vaccines sitting there for 2 days with no sign of them getting delivered.

You mean others who can't apply simple maths , its not exactly difficult.

Well, it might be interesting to historians who want to know what the rates used to be....no, wait, even they wouldn't be interested in a stat that is point in time and out of date almost as soon as it's calculated.

Apparently the UK version of the calculator is highly popular and several Irish media outlets have linked to the calculator as well - seems to be there is good interest of people to get a rough estimate by when being able to get a jab....
Not just by historians....

On a different note - The UK is looking into 24/7 vaccination hubs

Public health doctors in Ireland meanwhile consider strike action (I wonder how that works out with the Hippocratic Oath)

Last edited:
seems to be there is good interest of people to get a rough estimate by when being able to get a jab...
But it's 'just a bit of fun'. It gives absolutely no real indication of when anyone will be vaccinated, because it can't handle enough inputs to do so.

Media outlets love a bit of click-bait.

Just an observation, for someone who said they're not that bothered about getting the vaccination, you're spending a lot of time posting about it:
I am in no rush in any case and not even sure if I will bother at all with the vaccine.

Back