Delays in rolling out vaccine

Some people like to defend incompetence for whatever reasons.

The repeated hint that other countries possibly are not successfully distributing the vaccine in a correct way is baseless.

Ireland is "a bit behind"...

My boss is French, and has been in Montpellier for the last month. Yesterday she told our team that while Germany had reportedly rolled out tens or hundreds of thousands of vaccines, France had several hundred. Disastrously behind and shocking logistical and operational neglegence.

So yes, Ireland is not where it needs to be, but many other superpowers are having a tough time of it as well.

Doubt it's that. There is a high level of vacine sceptisim in France (only 40% say they will take the vaccine). I think I read that the French were slow rolling it out initially to ensure there were no issues and negative publicity. I believe they intend to ramp up.

Might go to France to get the jab if they don't want it - more availability :)
The BBC had an interesting report on this saying that in France the delay is largely due to elaborate protocols for obtaining informed consent among the elderly/mentally impaired who are first in the vaccination queue. Like in Ireland, they take these issues seriously as both countries have had various scandals in the past with people receiving treatment without their informed consent and in response to this they enacted stringent regulations. That's a very good thing and respectful of people's human dignity. But what I don't understand is why they don't just start vaccinating people whose consent is less problematic to obtain while working with those for whom it takes a bit longer and then vaccinate them if and when their consent is forthcoming. There's no logical need for the consent issue to hold up everything else.

Last edited:
The headline says that but its denied by ministers in the first paragraph.
I know - German politicians and French Opposition say similiar as the headline though

e.g. https://twitter.com/pthibaut/status/1346372909577744384?s=20
or

(...)
L'eurodéputé EELV Yannick Jadot a dénoncé lundi 4 janvier le «fiasco» de la stratégie vaccinale française, dont Emmanuel Macron est selon lui responsable, et de l'industrie hexagonale avec un vaccin de Sanofi qui ne devrait pas être disponible avant fin 2021.
Il a fustigé sur Radio Classique et Le Figaro un gouvernement qui a lancé «à reculons» la campagne de vaccination avec le vaccin de Pfizer/BioNTech, et évoqué «le bruit qui court à Bruxelles que la France a joué Sanofi au maximum, a contraint d'ailleurs l'Europe probablement - c'est ce que dit la presse allemande - à privilégier Sanofi contre les autres vaccins, d'où le fait qu'on ait cette forme de réticence vis-à-vis de Pfizer». Le député européen a, à cet égard, dénoncé un «fiasco industriel français», puisque le vaccin français ne devrait être prêt qu'à la fin 2021. Il juge que cette situation met la France «dans une situation dramatique» et est le résultat d'un «mélange d'amateurisme, d'incompétence, de prétention, d'arrogance».
(...)

9000 over 3 days seems reasonable at this stage

Not really since their stated aim was 35-40,000 a week. They are only on track for half that. What is being attempted is a huge logistical operation. There are going to be delays and I can only imagine how much stress the people involved in this are feeling. The issue is that you have HSE Management and Politicians making promises that other people who are relying on other people who are relying on other people have to deliver. The supply and delivery chains are huge. They need to completely honest here and tell us if and where the delays are. I think people will accept supply constraints as being out of control but I don't think people will accept logistical issues around delivery that no-one will admit to because they are somehow afraid of negative publicity or being protective of their jobs. I don't want to be hearing about IT system issues causing a delay and still be talking about it in 3 months.... We need to throw the full resources of public and private sector at this. We can't control the physical delivery of vaccines but we can control a lot other things.

Not really since their stated aim was 35-40,000 a week. They are only on track for half that. What is being attempted is a huge logistical operation. There are going to be delays and I can only imagine how much stress the people involved in this are feeling. The issue is that you have HSE Management and Politicians making promises that other people who are relying on other people who are relying on other people have to deliver. The supply and delivery chains are huge. They need to completely honest here and tell us if and where the delays are. I think people will accept supply constraints as being out of control but I don't think people will accept logistical issues around delivery that no-one will admit to because they are somehow afraid of negative publicity or being protective of their jobs. I don't want to be hearing about IT system issues causing a delay and still be talking about it in 3 months.... We need to throw the full resources of public and private sector at this. We can't control the physical delivery of vaccines but we can control a lot other things.

35000 this week which is the first week of this target, still need to get 40000 in though. If the target of 270000 elderly, frontline medical and others were vaccinated by end of February would be a great result. Its a big ask though.

Can you cite any logistical issues to date? I haven't seen any reports.

A nurse on the radio yesterday from an ICU ward and she has no idea when she will be getting her vaccine. She hasn't been told yet!

Experiences may differ but in the hospital where my wife works all staff were provided access to a system where they could select their preferred time slot including weekends, but low take-up of the weekend slots means they're cutting back on those now.

"Vaccine target would need a miracle as current jab rate would take us YEARS to complete"

Israel meanwhile might be finished with the Vaccination campaign by end of March:

Last edited:
"Vaccine target would need a miracle as current jab rate would take us YEARS to complete"

Israel meanwhile might be finished with the Vaccination campaign by end of March:
Considering that the vaccine may only last a year or two we might never get out of lockdown. We're all doomed!!!

Considering that the vaccine may only last a year or two we might never get out of lockdown. We're all doomed!!!

What we really need is a single dose vaccine that doesn't need the special handling of the Pfizer one, and can be rolled out like flu vaccine easily through the GP and pharmacy network to the vast majority of the population. There are candidates in development along those lines.

What we really need is a single dose vaccine that doesn't need the special handling of the Pfizer one, and can be rolled out like flu vaccine easily through the GP and pharmacy network to the vast majority of the population. There are candidates in development along those lines.
Paul Reid was stating at the weekend that the HSE are planning on the basis of delivering 1 million doses per month of the Astra Zeneca vaccine (which falls into the category of one of those that can be much more easily transported) if it is approved. This might sound optimistic on the basis of evidence to date but if this can be delivered at that rate then the picture could look very different in a month or two's time.

Paul Reid was stating at the weekend that the HSE are planning on the basis of delivering 1 million doses per month of the Astra Zeneca vaccine (which falls into the category of one of those that can be much more easily transported) if it is approved. This might sound optimistic on the basis of evidence to date but if this can be delivered at that rate then the picture could look very different in a month or two's time.

That's good news for year 1.
For next year and the years after, if we have to get into a cycle of annual vaccinations like the flu vaccine, then to be practicable we need a cheap and easy to distribute vaccine.

That's good news for year 1.
For next year and the years after, if we have to get into a cycle of annual vaccinations like the flu vaccine, then to be practicable we need a cheap and easy to distribute vaccine.
The Oxford vaccine is cheap and easy to distribute.

Johnson & Johnson have a 2-dose and 1-dose trial, and can be stored in the fridge. Interim report due on 1-dose trial by month end:
Just reading an article on Barrons, this is usually behind a pay wall but Ugur Sahin CEO of Biontech said yesterday that they are working on the temperature issue and should have "an improved termostable formulation later this year"

If that doesn't happen JNJ and Novavax are in late stage trials.

He believes that Covid-19 will be around for a considerable time and "vaccines will remain relevant for the coming decades ".

Other sources I have read suggests some concerns about the South African variant and its mutation particularly in the spike proteins and the effects on the efficiency of all the vaccines.

However Sahin is confident that they could re-engineer the present vaccine within 6 weeks.

He also stated that both Pfizer and Biontech were aiming to have 2bn doses this year, as Biontech now have a manufacturing facility.

Back