Delays in rolling out vaccine

NZ is in no rush anyway. The longer they postpone vaccinations the greater choice there will be and more vaccines available at a lower price (presumably).

Auckland has just left a three day circuit breaker lockdown. Three days!!!
AFAIK they haven’t had a national lockdown since the winter of 2020 (their winter).

That footage of Jacibda Arden at a barbecue, passing ‘round ketchup, people sharing salad scoops, no masks, no social distancing... it’s like something from the movies.

NZ is in no rush anyway. The longer they postpone vaccinations the greater choice there will be and more vaccines available at a lower price (presumably).

Auckland has just left a three day circuit breaker lockdown. Three days!!!
AFAIK they haven’t had a national lockdown since the winter of 2020 (their winter).

That footage of Jacibda Arden at a barbecue, passing ‘round ketchup, people sharing salad scoops, no masks, no social distancing... it’s like something from the movies.
Yes, if we were 4000Km from our nearest neighbour we could probably do that as well.

But new Zealand obviously has a different legal and political system. They were able to implement enforced quarantine manned by the army straight away. For even minor changes to our system requires legislation to be passed by the dail. Why is that, is it our constitutional system or is it our legal system. How many government decisions have been over ruled by judges because it is "unconstitutional "

But new Zealand obviously has a different legal and political system. They were able to implement enforced quarantine manned by the army straight away. For even minor changes to our system requires legislation to be passed by the dail. Why is that, is it our constitutional system or is it our legal system. How many government decisions have been over ruled by judges because it is "unconstitutional "
Our constitution........and while its wonderful to have a written one that protects us citizens it does cause issues when passing legislation.
Personally I feel its time for a review afterall it was written in a different era. But thats for another thread

Ireland and New Zealand have very similar legal and political systems and New Zealand respects the civil rights of its citizens as much as Ireland. In Ireland the problem seems to lie with political culture (the corrosive influence of vested interests), low quality of political personnel (lots of primary school teachers, small town solicitors, etc), a greedy, unreformed legal system out of control and a largely cynical, self-serving public sector and civil service.

Ireland and New Zealand have very similar legal and political systems and New Zealand respects the civil rights of its citizens as much as Ireland. In Ireland the problem seems to lie with political culture (the corrosive influence of vested interests), low quality of political personnel (lots of primary school teachers, small town solicitors, etc), a greedy, unreformed legal system out of control and a largely cynical, self-serving public sector and civil service.
And an uninformed electorate which is easily led by opportunistic populist opposition politicians.

Our constitution........and while its wonderful to have a written one that protects us citizens it does cause issues when passing legislation.
Personally I feel its time for a review afterall it was written in a different era. But thats for another thread
It's how the constitution is interpreted that is the problem, even if it is rewritten it can still be interpreted by the judiciary in different ways. The American constitution is much older than the irish one yet never hear any issues with being "unconstitutional ". Trumps signature was final in many instances, even the British system does not get bogged down in legal issues, alot of brexit related stuff was pushed through despite the legality arguments. Here the government seems to be hamstrung by legalities all the time

Last edited:
It's how the constitution is interpreted that is the problem, even if it is rewritten it can still be interpreted by the judiciary in different ways. The American constitution is much older than the irish one yet never hear any issues with being "unconstitutional ". Trumps signature was final in many instances, even the British system does not get bogged down in legal issues, alot of brexit related stuff was pushed through despite the legality arguments. Here the government seems to be hamstrung by legalities all the time
The Americans and British may have Civil Servants who are competent enough to write legislation. The competence levels across the top levels of the Civil Service seems to be very lacking, despite very high pay rates.

New Zealand and Ireland are very different. We should be looking at our neighbours 200km up the road that are well on their way to being vacinnated.

No matter how bad the handling of COVID has been in the UK, BoJo has gotten the vaccine rollout right thus far.

New Zealand and Ireland are very different. We should be looking at our neighbours 200km up the road that are well on their way to being vacinnated.

No matter how bad the handling of COVID has been in the UK, BoJo has gotten the vaccine rollout right thus far.
They are still in the Brexit propaganda mode so I for one will hold off congratulating them for the moment.

The Boris Brexit media put a very very shiny gloss on everything.

Yes they had a 4 week headstart, but possibly they are moving too quickly. Will the proverbial hit the fan when they start thinking about the second jab weeks later than is recommended.

They are still in the Brexit propaganda mode so I for one will hold off congratulating them for the moment.

The Boris Brexit media put a very very shiny gloss on everything.

Yes they had a 4 week headstart, but possibly they are moving too quickly. Will the proverbial hit the fan when they start thinking about the second jab weeks later than is recommended.

I'm basing my opinion on facts rather than media gloss or propaganda. My parents live in the North are 65-70 with no underlying health conditions and got the vaccine 2.5 weeks ago and have their date for the second. If I compare to my wife's older parents (70+) with underlying health conditions, they still don't know when they will get the vaccine.

The UK had a four week head start because the EU took longer to approve based on the same data. In the end the approval was a formality. My parents described the vaccine administration as a well oiled process. In Ireland we've only just announced or mass vaccine centres.

So I think the evidence suggests that we are doing a poor job of rollout.

I'm basing my opinion on facts rather than media gloss or propaganda. My parents live in the North are 65-70 with no underlying health conditions and got the vaccine 2.5 weeks ago and have their date for the second. If I compare to my wife's older parents (70+) with underlying health conditions, they still don't know when they will get the vaccine.

The UK had a four week head start because the EU took longer to approve based on the same data. In the end the approval was a formality. My parents described the vaccine administration as a well oiled process. In Ireland we've only just announced or mass vaccine centres.

So I think the evidence suggests that we are doing a poor job of rollout.
You appear to miss the rather important matter of having vaccines to rollout.

The UK had a four week head start because the EU took longer to approve based on the same data.
The UK approved the AstraZeneca vaaccine for conditional use on the 30th of December.
AstraZeneca didn't even apply to the EMA for approval until the 12th of January.
It's hard for the EMA to approve a drug when the manufacturer hasn't even applied for approval.

I'm still not sure what happened but putting all the blame for that delay on the EU is, at the very least, premature.
That's what I mean when I say that the UK is still in Brexit propaganda mode.

Back