Delays in rolling out vaccine

At least 15 million people in the UK have received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine.....

I would hope we in ROI will get indirect benefit from this in terms of reduced transmission, should start to kick in to reduced cases especially in N Ireland.

It can but it rarely does.

Thanks for the link. A very informative read.

IIRC a year ago they were saying it was about 80:20 p2p:surfaces.
As someone that keeps saying “our understanding is evolving” I should listen to my own advice more often. :rolleyes:

Now the challenge is getting 'everyone' vaccinated, polls in December suggested only 71% of the population here would take it!

71% isn’t a bad figure. That leaves 29% that are vaccine hesitant, vaccine allergic and anti-vaxxer. As time passes and there are no apparent side-effects the numbers of vaccine hesitant will fall off significantly.
Anti-vaxxers will remain constant, and vaccine allergic too depending on the allergy.

I was just looking at the vaccine numbers for Ireland Vs UK. Their rollout of first jabs is incredible but I wonder are they going to have to slow significantly to catch up.

My "back of the envelope" calculations... In the UK, about 3% of those who have gotten a first jab have received the second (Vs roughly 50% here). I might have it wrong but it looks like our rate of full vaccination per population is twice that of the UK (approx 90k Vs approx 500k)

@EmmDee yes but the UK have deliberately made that decision to administer the first dose as quickly as possible and hold back on the second dose until much later, most of the benefits of the vaccine come from the first dose anyway, the benefit of the booster shot is marginal, maybe good for the individual getting both shots but society at large benefits by getting many more people vaccinated with one dose quickly. We can criticize the UK for many things but their approach and implemention of their vaccine program has been world class.

@EmmDee yes but the UK have deliberately made that decision to administer the first dose as quickly as possible and hold back on the second dose until much later, most of the benefits of the vaccine come from the first dose anyway, the benefit of the booster shot is marginal, maybe good for the individual getting both shots but society at large benefits by getting many more people vaccinated with one dose quickly. We can criticize the UK for many things but their approach and implemention of their vaccine program has been world class.

I'm aware of that. The point I was making is that there is a much larger gap than I had assumed. They still need to get the second jab in within 12 weeks (according to their own policy). They have a large number to cover which... As I said... Whether they will have to slow down rolling out to new tiers.

The first jab does provide a lot of cover. However the second jab is needed for the completion of the protection rate. People will start relaxing after the first jab and they run the risk of continued spread and / or further mutation if they can't keep measures in place between jabs

I was just looking at the vaccine numbers for Ireland Vs UK. Their rollout of first jabs is incredible but I wonder are they going to have to slow significantly to catch up.

My "back of the envelope" calculations... In the UK, about 3% of those who have gotten a first jab have received the second (Vs roughly 50% here). I might have it wrong but it looks like our rate of full vaccination per population is twice that of the UK (approx 90k Vs approx 500k)
You wouldn't be far off, another thing that popped into my head today was with the UK striving on with the initial dose, will people " bother" going for the second?

Figures for infection and deaths are falling rapidly in the UK and I would expect them to have society reopened considerably by April and people might just think one dose is enough.

@EmmDee yes but the UK have deliberately made that decision to administer the first dose as quickly as possible and hold back on the second dose until much later, most of the benefits of the vaccine come from the first dose anyway, the benefit of the booster shot is marginal,

According to Pfizer the first dose is 52% effective. This increases to 95% upon the second dose.

In Israel they’ve found the first dose to be less effective than the Pfizer figure of 52%.

According to Pfizer the first dose is 52% effective. This increases to 95% upon the second dose.

In Israel they’ve found the first dose to be less effective than the Pfizer figure of 52%.
The media and many on here are obsessed with these percentages but they don't matter that much as they capture all infections no matter how minor. Much more important is the percentage of those who after being vaccinated develop serious Covid-related symptoms or even die. Here the Pfizer vaccine is almost 100% effective as the Israeli study shows.

A million people vaccinated with 52% effective is much better overall than 500,000 vaccinated with 90% effective. That's the calculation the British have made because you then have alot more people with adequate protection against the virus, you are cutting down on the spread much quicker. With this pandemic speed or the lack of it has been pivotal, if the Chinese had been much faster in admitting that they had a new deadly contagious virus rather than covering up we would not be in this situation

Last edited:
I’m interested to see how many of those in the U.K. that have received Pfizer dose 1 will die of Covid or get seriously ill five to twelve weeks later.

Last edited:
New Zealand received their first batch of vaccines on Monday. 60,000 doses of Pfizer. They’re scheduled to begin administering jabs on Saturday, starting with border workers.

In France’s first week they vaccinated 400 people. Now they have more fully vaccinated people than the U.K.

The USA has 12.1 million people fully vaccinated. Their death toll is half a million and is expected to be 640,000 by 1st June.

Interested that you mentioned that New Zealand only started vaccinating this week and small numbers. Who will be in a better place in a year's time the UK or NZ. They have invested so much capital in zero covid that they won't be able to open an inch until they get everyone vaccinated. The UK will begin opening substantially in next few months. That will also pose great difficulties for us much more than last summer trying to maintain restrictions into a second summer when our big neighbours is open

Who will be in a better place in a year's time the UK or NZ.

Time will tell, but I imagine it’ll be New Zealand:

U.K. Deaths: 118,195
That’s 1,735 deaths per million population.

N.Z. Deaths: 26
That’s 5 deaths per million population.

Interested that you mentioned that New Zealand only started vaccinating this week and small numbers. Who will be in a better place in a year's time the UK or NZ. They have invested so much capital in zero covid that they won't be able to open an inch until they get everyone vaccinated. The UK will begin opening substantially in next few months. That will also pose great difficulties for us much more than last summer trying to maintain restrictions into a second summer when our big neighbours is open

It will be interesting to see how the next 6 months pan out. On current plans, despite starting later than UK and notwithstanding the UK's success to date, a number of EU countries (particularly the Scandis) plan to have fully vaccinated a number of months before the UK. If NZ plan to take a similar approach and have supply, they could be in a good place.

Back