Delay opening PDF Documents

astras

Would anyone know why the page freezes or freezes every time i try to open a PDF document?

Have you updated to the latest version of Adobe Acrobat - i was recently promted to update mine..

Thanks for reply. No I have adobe reader 9 and havent been prompted to update!

Proably a software issue. See if this works ?
Delete the Adobe Reader software installed. Download a fresh installation. Reboot.

You could download a free pdf reader and writer such as PrimoPdf. Just do a search and download the free version. I use Adobe and Primo for saving to pdfs and they both open quickly.

Almost anything that can open and read .PDF documents will be smaller, better, faster, easier to manage and simpler to keep updated than Adobe Reader.

I use Foxit pdf reader really good.Remove Acrobat its terrible!!

still cant open pdf documents, i rebooted and downloaded adobe again, plus I downloaded primdof too, any further ideas?

What exactly happens when you try to open a pdf ? Are you just clicking on the pdf file or right-clicking and using the "open with" command ?
Is there a message shown on the screen ? If so what does it state ?

whether i right click and click open, or just double click: the same thing happens, the egg timer comes up beside the arrow for the mouse on the screen, and thats it, just keeps at that!!
no message shown..

#1 Software Problems:

Scan your .pdf with your anti-virus solution.
Try opening it with the application that made it, if its your own file.
Check and see if its a generic problem by downloading Open Office, writing a text document and exporting it a PDF - Adobe should open this no problem.

#2 Hardware Problems:

Is it simply that your PC is old and decrepit or running an old OS?
My oldest at the moment runs Win2K SP4 on a 1.8Ghz chip and 500Mb RAM and has no problem opening PDF files.

#3 Multiple Programs Running:

Do you try and do this with other applications running and the processor under load.

Let us know here.

ONQ.

onq, Thanks for that reply. Its not point 2 or 3 you mentioned, as the laptop is a few months old, and I dont have other prgrammes open when trying to open pdf's.
Regarding point 1 you outlined, im right clicking Adobe band trying to scan with AVG but nothing seems to happen. Regarding downloading open office, thats proving problematic at the moment, cant get a page to open off it!

Weirder and weirder!

Well, persevere, but you might need someone to have a look at it.

Too many things seem to be not happening all at once to isolate any one cause.

ONQ.