Delay in getting back my deposit on a house

konline

Sorry if this is not the right forum. Looking for an advice what I can do next.
I gave a deposit on a house and decided not to proceed because of various reasons within a few days. I asked for my deposit back on 18th of September and I was told that it will be processed in a couple of days. I haven't got back deposit yet and everytime I remind the agents, they are saying it will be processed 'today'.
Does anyone know where I can lodge my complaint about the builder and get back my deposit? Thank you.

You mention builder, so I presume this is a new build? Was it just the booking deposit you paid? What contracts were signed? What does your solicitor say?

Yes this is a new build. Sorry, yes it's just a booking deposit. No contracts signed. No solicitor engaged as I decided to not to proceed with in a few days of giving my booking deposit.

You mention builder, so I presume this is a new build? Was it just the booking deposit you paid? What contracts were signed? What does your solicitor say?

Thats worrying. I really do not think it is normal.

I would contact the EAs professional body asking what the usual time frame is. Check out what bond the EA has in place, suggest that you are thinking about reporting to the bond holders. Suggest that you may contact the PSRA which licenses EAs.

I would be chasing it on a more than daily basis. Calling around to the agent, sitting in the lobby telling everyone that you are there to get your booking deposit back in a loud voice.

Paid to Estate Agent / Auctioneers. These guys are selling the houses on behalf of builder I guess. Today again they said it has been transferred, this is 4th time they said the same in past three weeks.

Do you have your contract/no contract receipt? Call to their head-office and ask to see the head honcho. If there's a show-house on the development, hang out there and ask loudly about your overdue refund when they're about to show prospects around. If they have social media ask relevant questions there in the public forum if there is one, posting photos of your receipt saying the refund is long overdue. You may get some nonsense about them processing all refunds in a batch once every six weeks, ask loudly and often why this wasn't made clear to you when they took your money.

Contact their professional body e.g. RICS.

And complain to the [broken link removed]

If we waste money on bodies like these, you might as well use them.

Brendan

I had a similar issue a few years ago. I had a deposit paid on a property, but discovered there were huge issues with title that the agent tried to hide. After a few weeks and a number of missed promises, I still had no deposit returned.
I found the names of the directors of the company, found their email addresses and told them that if I had not my deposit back in 2 days I would visit their offices and inform anyone entering or leaving their door to think twice about leaving them a cheque.... 24 hours later and the deposit was back in my account.

I got back my booking deposit :) They said their solicitor was too busy to tranfer to my account and apologised. PSR escalation worked I believe. In fact I filled in the complaint form, scanned and about to send it to PSR but surprisingly I got the money at the same hour in to my account. Thank you all for your advices.

Back