Dehumidifiers for damp problems

streamer

My other half and I have gone sale agreed on a house. Its about 100 years old and needs renovating. We've decided that after the slog of selling and buying a house (we've a 2 year old too!) we can't face the prospect of getting into 3 months of living in rented accommodation while the builders are in so we're hoping to leave the house as it is until next summer and do the work then.

The house has a problem with damp, we're going to need to excavate the ground floors and lay a damp proof course as part of the work next year. In the meantime a builder suggested we could get an industrial dehumidifier in for a couple of weeks to suck out the worst of the damp and then use a home version to keep the problem at bay.

Any body had experience of doing this? Are we facing into a miserable winter in a damp house?

Thanks in advance

streamer.

Sorry I can't offer you any advice on the damp but I would worry about living in a house with a serious damp problem with a 2 year old. I would seek possibly your GPs advice to start with.