Defribillators

SarahMc

Very controversial I'm sure but....

Every club/school in the country is fundraising for one of these at a cost of at least a couple of grand.

What is the issue with having one in local Garda Station? In my town there is at least 10, within a 5 mile radius of Garda (and ambulance) Station. Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this one?

When the heart is restarted within one minute, the survival rate is 90 per cent; at 10 minutes, it is less than 10 per cent.

[broken link removed]

Do you make these Purple? What is the life and service costs of one?. I am sure a 'Best before date' is be printed printed on them. At a guess, conductive gel, batteries, capacitors etc don't last forever, maybe 3 to 5 years?

According to this [broken link removed] 2 years battery life for most and up to five/seven for one model.

Last edited:

They are for situations where the person will be dead within 3-4 minutes if they dont get shocked. So the equipment has to be on the premises.

I participated in a first aid training course and as previous posters have said, early access is crucial.
If it is used on someone within a couple of minutes there is a great chance their life could be saved.

The chap giving the course told us they have one in Dublin airport and have had to use it 8 times and have had a 100% success rate.

What is the issue with having one in local Garda Station? In my town there is at least 10, within a 5 mile radius of Garda (and ambulance) Station. Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this one?
Probably something to do with the number of people that collapse in Garda stations.

Is there any site that tells you where to find them? Did the course a few months back so I'll happliy zap any of ye should I encounter ye - but if I'm away from my natural habitat how will I know where to find it?

The only difficulty I have seen with the supply of defibrillators is that sports clubs, work places etc then think that they have their job done. They continue to undersetimate or indeed ignore the need for CPR training. Applying the Defibrillator 4 minutes after collapse is fine bit the surviuval chances are a lot higher if CPR is being applied while the defibrillator is being located and brought to the site of the patient.

Think more of them should be available and agree with more trainnig being available in work places/clubs. I believe you wouldn't have time to contact the local garda station and wait for someone to bring one to you in an emergency situation. Feel more of them should be available rather than less! A few grand is a small price to save a life!