Definitive statement on new VRT and tax rates

ang1170

Because the published information about how cars imported between January and July are treated for VRT and tax is ambiguous, I e-mailed the minister (two or three weeks ago). Just received the following:

<QUOTE>

I have been asked by Mr. John Gormley, T.D., Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government to refer to your recent email in connection with motor tax.

In relation to motor tax I should like to explain that a second hand car imported and registered here between now and 30 June 2008 would have its motor tax based on the cars engine capacity (c.c.) now and in future years.

The new CO2 based motor tax system will apply to cars registered abroad from 2008 onwards and subsequently registered here on or after 1 July 2008. The new CO2 based motor tax system will not apply to the import of pre 2008 cars. These cars will continue to be taxed based on their engine capacity (c.c.).

In terms of VRT, any car imported prior to July 1st 2008 will be subject to the current rate of VRT, i.e., 22.5% (cars up to 1,400cc) 25% (cars 1,401 to 1,900cc) or 30% (cars over 1,900cc). A car imported after 1st 2008 July will be assessed for VRT based on its CO2 emissions.

<END QUOTE>

So:

import now and VRT and tax are as at present

import after July 1 and VRT is new rates, but tax rate will depend on car's age: those first registered before 2008 will be on old system, those 2008 or after will be on new system

This is the first time I've seen official confirmation of this, so I thought it worth posting.

If you are able to afford a new car you can get a cheaper tax rate.

Very green Thanks John gormley.

import after July 1 and VRT is new rates, but tax rate will depend on car's age: those first registered before 2008 will be on old system, those 2008 or after will be on new system

Does anyone know if UK garages are gearing up to sell their cars in Ireland (en-masse, far more than the 65k imported currently) after July 1st?

If I was a reputable BMW dealer with a yard full of 520d's and 320d's, surely i'd be aware that they are about to become very very attractive to irish buyers, and start organising inspection trips, ala bulgarian property!

at last thats great,, thanks for posting nice to have it now, for anyone thats interested i have a very good excel doc with the co2, old rates for tax and new rates for all models,, very handy document for reference

at last thats great,, thanks for posting nice to have it now, for anyone thats interested i have a very good excel doc with the co2, old rates for tax and new rates for all models,, very handy document for reference

Hi Clonboy,

could yo PM me so I can get the excel sheet also ?

Thanks,
Wexfordman

Would have thought all this was made clear at this point.

Anyone buying A Bmw keep in mind its only its new engine thats has low emissions (since Oct07).

UK garages are already doing brisk business from Ireland but one thing to watch out for is Ireland has become a target for shifting flood damaged cars so dont skip on the checks. If a deals looks to good to be true ... etc

Can that document mentioned above be posted on here?? Does it cover older models? as most of the info out there is for current models which may have different CO2 ratings than an 06 or 07 model of the same make.