Definition of occupancy

mangos

Hi

Hope someone out there can help. I took out insurance on a rented property in Oct 05. In Dec 05 tenants left and I noticed a crack in one of the walls. The insurance co. sent out a loss adjuster to check same and they argued that since the house was 'unoccupied' I had no claim.

However, I was in the house every day after the tenants left doing work on it. does this qualify as occupancy as the claim is still ungoing and I cannot get a response from either ins co nor the engineer handling the claim.

Mangos

Hi

Hope someone out there can help. I took out insurance on a rented property in Oct 05. In Dec 05 tenants left and I noticed a crack in one of the walls. The insurance co. sent out a loss adjuster to check same and they argued that since the house was 'unoccupied' I had no claim.

However, I was in the house every day after the tenants left doing work on it. does this qualify as occupancy as the claim is still ungoing and I cannot get a response from either ins co nor the engineer handling the claim.

Mangos

Did you inform the insurers it was unoccupied ? do you actually 'live' in the house ? Or was there some sort of pre-agreed arrangement with the insurer that you would visit the house/have it maintained while it would be unoccupied ?

I thought most insurance policies don't count a period as unoccupancy unless it's more then 30 days, look at the terms of your insurance to see.

I thought most insurance policies don't count a period as unoccupancy unless it's more then 30 days, look at the terms of your insurance to see.

Bronte's right - I dont know of any insurer that doesnt allow a certain of period of time after the property becomes vacant whereby cover remains in place. HOWEVER they do require that you notify them of this so that they may note it. - how else are they to know when this "grace period" begins?

Hi

Thanks for your responses.

Having looked at the policy there is a clause about having the house occupied every 90 days. Being honest I didn't think this would be an issue as I was in and out of the house every day. I was then advised to tell the company it was 'unoccupied' as the tenants had left so that is how they knew. But I was under the impression that only presence in the house was required. This was an assumption on my part.

Mangos

Back