Defined benefit pension and separated

paddyjnr

I have a defined benefit pension which I moved to a bank to reinvest 2 years ago.
Initially they were looking for my wife's signature whom I'm legally separated from since 2013.
I had no luck tracking her down but 6 weeks later I received a letter saying they accepted it.
Now I can take a tax free lump sum but I am wondering will I still be in the same situation as regards to her signature.
There is no possible way of me finding her and even if I do she has burried her head with regards debt she won't communicate with me.
Is it possible they would release 25% of it without her signature and if not what can I do? Thank you

Is there a Pension Adjustment Order on the pension? It sounds like there is and you didn't separate your entitlements when you took the transfer value.

I'm sure if there is and she is entitled to some of the lump sum, she'll probably sign the forms quick enough!

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Yes there was an adjustment order awarded in court of 25% of the number of years we were married but I don't think she notified them of this. Should I let them know or is it even up to me?. I'm confused about this while thing. Thanks

It's your pension. Did you notify them of this? Or more likely, your solicitor wrote to them with a copy of the Pension adjustment order.

To access your pension is going to require contact with your ex. Remind her that she is entitled to a portion of your pension and you want to access your part now. She can either access her part now too or she can transfer her portion into a policy in her own name. It's her choice. You can then access 25% of what you are entitled to.

This is why it is always a good idea to separate pension assets at the time of separation and not in the future.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Slightly OT, but you are separated from someone with zero hope of reconciliation. You should seek a divorce as some day you (or her) might want to re-marry.

AFAIK you can obtain a divorce from someone who refuses to respond but it is costly and time consuming.

Did the courts grant her 25% of a DB, which doesn't exist anymore?
The courts granted her 25% of 7 years of my pension which is how long we were married for before separating. I don't know what you mean by DB . Apologies but I'm clueless around this.

Slightly OT, but you are separated from someone with zero hope of reconciliation. You should seek a divorce as some day you (or her) might want to re-marry.

AFAIK you can obtain a divorce from someone who refuses to respond but it is costly and time consuming.
I went about a divorce but it was recommended that I sort out financial issues first. We owe the banks money so I am about to go through bankruptcy as well. I have tried to bring her with me through it but she doesn't want to know about anything so I'm going at it alone with my PIP.

Back