Deepak Chopra - worth hearing?

Audrey

I see that Deepak Chopra will give a seminar in the Concert Hall on 4 April. Anybody ever heard him speak? Is he worth hearing? Anybody read his books? I saw an article in the Irish Times yesterday about him, and I found it very interesting, but would prefer to hear what anybody else thinks before I book, especially as the charge to attend the seminar is around the EUR50 or more!

Hi Audrey
I read his latest book last year - had a job to get it - it sold out v quickly after he was on Late Late. I find him v good. Do you have any more details on the seminar i.e. where to get tickets etc?

I don't have an informed opinion of him but associate him with the self-help personal development industry.

IMHO, any of these practitioners should only be heard/read once. If it doesn't trigger something within you first time then repeated exposure ain't going to do it.

And if it ain't within you or is deeply buried, a book or lecture is not going to release it for you.

Excuse my cynicism - it's not directed at him specifically.

Danmo said:
Hi Audrey
I read his latest book last year - had a job to get it - it sold out v quickly after he was on Late Late. I find him v good. Do you have any more details on the seminar i.e. where to get tickets etc?
Hi Danmo, It's at 7.30 on 4 April (Tel 4170000 for tickets). Also see [broken link removed].
I

Danmo said:
Hi Audrey
Hi Danmo, It's at 7.30 on 4 April (Tel 4170000 for tickets). Also see [broken link removed].
I was quite interested in one thing that he said in the Irish Times interview - "you are not in the world, the world is in you". I know that, as someone else said, there are a lot of self-help type people out there. From what I read in yesterday's interview, that's not quite what Deepak Chopra is about (or perhaps I'm wrong?). I felt he was more of a philosopher, but I just read the one article and could be wrong.

Thanks Audrey. I wouldn't really call him a self help guru. I suppose a lot of what he talks about is releasing your potential and finding out what would fulfil you in life. I don't know if I can distill it into a few lines on a discussion board. Take a look at his website
[broken link removed]

Danmo said:
Thanks Audrey. I wouldn't really call him a self help guru. I suppose a lot of what he talks about is releasing your potential and finding out what would fulfil you in life. I don't know if I can distill it into a few lines on a discussion board. Take a look at his website
[broken link removed]
Thanks Danmo.

For anything like this, your first port of call should be The Skeptics Dictionary

from which comes the following important summary:

...what Chopra and other "alternative" healers sell is hope. Chopra gives hope to the dying that they will not die and hope to the living that they can live forever in perfect health. But his hope seems to be a false hope based on an unscientific imagination seeped in mysticism and cheerily dispensed gibberish.

Brendan

Back