Deep South County DUblin

command

Have been looking around south dublin at property recently and in view of the M50, the now confirmed luas extension and the new retail developments in Carrickmines and Ballyogan these areas seem to getting pretty well serviced with infrastructure. I know there are not many pubs in the area at the moment.

Does this make property in these areas a better bet than say Cabinteely, Deansgrange, (West) Killiney types of places where all there seems to be is old style infrequesnt bus route and a drive in the car to get to a Dart station?

Specifically we have been tempted by the new developments in Carrickmines in order to avoid stamp duty.
Falling market aside I am thinkiing that a property within a few minutes walk of the Luas has to be easier to shift in a few years than something in a more traditional area of South Dublin with no easy access to quick transport to the city?

Hi

Not an expert by any means but sounds good.Definitely look around and time length of time to city now before Luas is finished.Car trips at different times of day & bus times and frequency

like the thread title,made me smile

I actually don't think the bus serivce is all that infrequent in the areas you mentioned, particularly during rush hour. Cabinteely and (West) Killiney are pretty close to the QBC on the N11 - check out the timetables for the 145, 84, 84x, 46c, 46d, 63 and 45 on http://www.dublinbus.ie The 7, 7b, 7a, 58c and 58x may also be relevant depending on the exact location. As for Deansgrange the 46A is pretty frequent, thile the 45 and 46d also pass through.

Advantage of the bus service is that it is in place now. Taking a longer term view Carrickmines is a good location and the Luas will certainly be a benefit.

Hi

Not an expert by any means but sounds good.Definitely look around and time length of time to city now before Luas is finished.Car trips at different times of day & bus times and frequency

like the thread title,made me smile

I agree. The thinking sounds good. Property prices in adjacent areas increased when Luas was installed. The effect reduces the further away from the Luas the house is, the best effect being within walking distance otherwise you face the problem of finding somewhere to park near the station.

A chat with an Estate Agent or two as part of being seen to be looking for property should be of use.

The Carrickmines exit off the M50 is the least bad of the exits on the south eastern section of the M50. You'd be straight off there and into the new developments without much bother.

The Cherrywood exit to Deansgrange, Killiney, Shankill etc can be a nightmare on days when the traffic backs up to it. These areas are much more established though and nicer places to live.

Hi,
im living in gleann na ri,druids valley,at the cherrywood roundabout.

totally recommend it,30seconds to m50, 7,45 buses outside the front door, luas is coming and a mall of shops.

what more would you need?check it out on myhome website.

th 7 and 45 buses take a while to get to town. I know the ones using the QBC thorugh Stillorgan are pretty quick.

A bus from Killiney or Cabinteely will still probably take longer than a luas from carrickmines or ballyogan.

From a social life point of view the more traditional areas are probably better served with schools but I find that a lot of houses are still more than a good walk form a decent pub/restaurant.

Living close to Luas stations opens up loads of possibilities. The amenities of neighbouring towns are made much more available so you don't have to depend on your own neighbourhood as much.

That said, living too close can be a problem in terms of commuters using your roads as an all-day parking lot. A recent feature in the property supplment in the Times mentioned that this was making houses on these roads less attractive to potential buyers.

Hi,
im living in gleann na ri,druids valley,at the cherrywood roundabout.

totally recommend it,30seconds to m50, 7,45 buses outside the front door, luas is coming and a mall of shops.

what more would you need?check it out on myhome website.

Any idea what type/size of shops are coming?