Deed of assent

JenJen

Hi there. My husband and need to do a deed of assent to transfer title of house to him. His mother died last year and we have just received the Grant of Probate and waiting to hear from Revenue. We have been living in my late mother in laws house for 5 years before she died and do not intend to move in
The next 6 years. There was a charge against her property which was paid off about 7 years ago and we went into the Registry of Deeds and had lien removed and her name as the sole owner. There were no issues at all and we had the folio number. Sorry for life story.... do you think we might be able to do this ourselves?

My personal advice (as some one who did DIY Probate) would be to use a Solicitor for this.

Its a major asset, and there's no sense in being penny wise and pound foolish.

If you are already living in the house then I imagine there's no rush and you can wait out the current crisis.

Problem with a DIY job on the assent is that you will not know it has been done right until the property is being sold/mortgaged as the Registry of Deeds Deeds Registration is unlikely to disclose errors (if any). The costs of getting this done professionally is small in the overall context

Do not do this yourself. The consequences of doing it incorrectly could cost you multiples of the cost of doing it through a solicitor now.

Back