Deed of Assent

D

Docker636

Both my parents have died in the last year. They jointly owned their home. I'm the executor of my mother's will and am hoping to seek probate over the coming months. The will is straightforward and the family is in agreement on all matters. The house deeds are in my possession. I'm hoping to buy my parents home from my siblings without resorting to a mortgage. How do I transfer ownership of the house into my own name after I've bought them out? I've heard that I must get a deed of assent. Is it necessary to employ a solicitor to get same? Or can I do it on my own? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, taking out probate without a solicitor is doable (and could save the estate a good bit of money if done properly) but actually transferring ownership of real property is not for an amateur.

Any idea how I go about registering the deaths of the property owners (my parents)?

Their GP/hospital (depends on where they died) will issue a "Death Cert" and this must be taken to Registrar of Births/Deaths/Marriages. It is helpful to bring along their Birth Certs, marriage certs, but not necessary. Nominal charge. It is worth paying to get a few copies of the Death Cert as it is required by Banks, Credit Unions, Solicitor, Life Assurance, etc.

Back