Declaring goods in red channel

orka

We are going on a sightseeing/shopping trip to New York in November and will almost certainly exceed the €175 per person limit on goods (clothes, shoes, dvds) purchased outside the EU. How much will we have to pay (just 21% VAT or is there duty/other as well)? I have looked on revenue.ie but it just says what the allowances are but not what the charges are. What is the procedure for going through the red channel and paying whatever is due? Have a bunch of receipts and the chequebook ready?

I get the impression that very few people actually declare goods when coming home from NY shopping trips so do you think they will be suspicious of a declaration and want to check the bags in case we have €10M of diamonds in there? I'm happy enough to pay the duty/VAT etc (the stuff will still be a lot cheaper) but I don't want to get stuck there for hours because we're doing the right thing so has anyone any experience of this? Thanks.

i was over in new york last month and our flight arrived home early saturday morning. the lady at cutoms was half asleep so we sailed through. we didnt keep receipts (cause obv werent going to be returning items) but we did keep tags on our clothes (only remembered after we had packed!!!)i dont think they stop many people now, maybe the odd random check.

Orka,

you are very honest!!!!

The duty rates are typically low, say 3-5-10% max.

VAT is 21%.

i heard once about someone who ruffled clothes in the hotel and left a big bag of clothes wrapping, tags and receipts in the hotel and travelled back with jus the stuff they brought over ...... allegedly!

Or posting home all receipts and tags, wearing clothes around room to ensure that they have some 'shape', scuffing soles of shoes....
Not that I would ever do it!
But it makes me laugh when you carefully try and conceal the evidence, and the group ahead of you are trailing 5-10 macys carrier bags through the green lane, and aren't stopped!