decking question

car

Putting decking down, I need to put supports down for the frame. The area Im decking is a garden with a slight slope on it from an area of concrete paving near the house down to a lawn so I'll need to have the decking raised where the grass is to keep it level, is there a recommended way of doing this? I need to find out how to raise the level of support for the frame on the grass. (concrete base/wood/other..)

edit: I know the decking should be sloped anyway but it wont be to the same degree as the garden is at present. Been googling and found the [broken link removed] which says to use concrete.
further edit: Dont know why I didnt find this info last night when I was looking, anyway I just found a great "how to" on decking. See here.

this may not answer your questions but a very
handy decking guide to have

[broken link removed]

I must be missing something, that just seems to be a pdf catalog of all the products they have.

opps I wanted to post this link....
still a brochure though

[broken link removed]

I was helping the brother in lwa the weekend to put his decking down and he to was putting it over gras.We dug holes bout an inch to 2 inches deep put sum sand in and put a 4 inch block in the hole and rested the frame on them.It was really sturdy after we got the proper level.Isugest putting lights in your decking also.

Dig a a hole, get a bag of quick set concrete, mix and fill hole with same, level off and wait to set. Best to use fixed to the concrete to place the timber posts in.

Depending on the slope and size of decking thombom's suggestion should work also. I've used both methods in the past, a bit more movement with thombom's method ( you can lift the deck if you try hard enough as its not fixed down), but both prefectly safe.

Pretty sure I saw some in the Liffey Valley branch of B&Q. The type I'm referring to are really small and flat-topped. They are designed to be inserted into holes in the decking boards.

There are some examples in this link (B&Q website):

[broken link removed]

Or alternatively, go to www.diy.com and under "Garden & Leisure" there is an "Outdoor Lighting" section.

No affiliation with B&Q BTW.

Back