Decking paint

Introuble83

Is it possible to use weatherclad paint instead of the typical decking stain or oil . The decking is new and has not been previously painted . Thanks

Is it possible to use weatherclad paint instead of the typical decking stain or oil . The decking is new and has not been previously painted . Thanks
I used Cuprinol deck stain that comes in a range of colours. We used an oil based wood paint on the panels. Looks so much better than traditional decking stain.

Paint will look well when it’s put down first but it won’t weather well. You’re effectively putting a new layer over the wood which will get grubby fairly quickly. Your best bet is decking oil or stain which is absorbed into the wood and helps to increase its lifespan.

I recently painted our deck as i felt it was past the point of being able to be restored with a stain. I have to say, i regret doing so, the finish is fine, and im sure it will give it a little more life but the finished look was very "unnatural". I tried 2 different colours and my experience was that what ended up on the wood, looked very different to the sample on the tin in terms of colour. I used a well-known brand that did not do "exactly what it said on the tin" so to speak.

I second Luck23, I would avoid painting especially as you have new decking. The deck I inherited had been painted previously and it did not weather well at all. I would go for the staining with an annual cleaning / power wash and reapplication to keep it fresh.

Back