Decking- no space between each board

suicra05

Getting a deck installed at present. Builder not leaving any space between each board. He says he has always placed each board beside each other. He has left a gap previuosly on other jobs and says the gap ends up too large. Is this okay? He is using standard treated decking boards.

No it ain't. He needs to leave a gap for expansion and shrinkage. Plus, if there is a gap air can circulate and dry out the boards quicker and hence you should get longer out of it - i.e. it wont rot as soon.

Sounds like a cowboy. Besides what is wrong with gaps !

We put deck claws in between our deck boards - they give an even space and hold the board in place without having to use unsightly screws or nails which may split the boards. They're available in Woodies.

Always, always leave a gap....

Rule of thumb:
If deck boards are "dried" - Leave 6 mm gap
If they are "wet", leave 3 mm gap.

The min. distance I would leave is about 16 mm plus. From 16 mm onwards air would circulate on it's own with out the need for the wind to blow into the right direction to dry the timber. "Standard treated decking boards"-what are these? Hazardous waste -after it's life cycle? Not to get into contact with skin during it's entire life time? Children not allowed onto it? Food preparation impossible?
Get the safety data sheet and think twice about it.

I agree with Heinbloed on this one about the spacing distance. If your builder has not left a gap then he is a muppet!

In all likelihood the planks will expand somewhat given the wonderful soft weather we experience in Ireland. If this happens and he has not left a gap then the planks will expand, squeeze against each other, and lift. Your nice flat deck will become a rolling hills affair.

Probably the planks have been pressure impregnated since this is the most common preservative technique used for wood destined for a life outdoors. Unless the kids chew on them or you prepare your food on the floor then the nature of the preservative will not concern you. If you are concerned then the vendor should be able to produce a product data sheet from HIS supplier detailing the treatment used.

SecurityDoor said:
I agree with Heinbloed on this one about the spacing distance. If your builder has not left a gap then he is a muppet!

Agree, this builder is a muppet...
Disagree with 16mm which is way to large for spacing between boards.
Standard off-the-self deck spacers i came across are 3/16" (4.76mm) or 1/4" (6.35mm).
Anyway, up to you....

A composite board can be fitted very close as rot is not an issue. Prices - 6" x 12' x 1 1/4 " 25€

Builder has completed deck with no spacing. What is the best thing to do now. He is coming back am to discuss deck and issues. What is the easiest workaround?

Suicra - i work for myself [horticulture]. Your the customer. You tell him what you want. Show him the printed list. he may have his reasons - and 'may' even be correct - so note them but dont pay the bill until you are fully satisfied. [If you are really having trouble after this and goes that far tell him you are getting a structural/ civil engineer to do a survey on it for you so it doesnt appear as neighbourly advice - no offence anyone - just to keep it above board]. let me know how you get how you get on.
Slan agus beannacht

Thanks for the advice oirish, but we're so used to getting excellent advice on Askaboutmoney from people who have fantastic knowledge in diverse areas that I'd prefer to get the information here first.

Marion

Marion,

it's better to use a redwood, cedar or oak [if you have a decent budget - disease/ rot resistant] other than that a pressure treated pine or my favourite a rough sawn wood from a local timber yard [which you have to sand down].

Its rare these days to hear common use of spruce but it should/ would/ will make a lovely [grey-er-ish] deck.

As long as the timber is dried and free from splits, twists and soft edges, decay, knots etc. then any timber is good [ps give it a treat of garden preserve type paint first].

-my apologies I didnt know if you were just looking for a supplier/fitter or general info etc. and as a by-the-way i dont work for that firm. I hope this advice is as [excellent] useful as it usually is!

warm regards

Hi Oirish

Thank you for your very helpful and detailed reply. Much appreciated.

Marion

Hi Marion

isnt it great to get 'excellent advice on Askaboutmoney from people who have fantastic knowledge in diverse areas'

warm regards!
oirish

Marion,

[assuming you are female[no offence]], I'm gonna print that quote off and frame it - for [all] the women in my life who [dis]agree [?!!]

the [really] laughing [now] oirish man!

Spoke to builder this morning. He is saying, he has done decks before and never had any problems. He is willing to stand over it. If there is a problem in the future he will correct it. Will put some air holes in the sides (under the deck) to let the air circulate. Builder has done other work for us in the past so he has built up a level of trust with us. My hunch is to go with the builders advice. Hope it is the right decision.

he needs to leave a gap so the rain can go between the boards and it wont sit on top.they need room to expand to.