Decking: advantages of hardwood decking over softwood decking ?

Haille

Advice on timber decking needed. I intend to install timber decking at rear of investment property, part of which I will let and part I will retain for myself as Summer residence. What are the advantages of hardwood decking over softwood decking ? I I have a large area to cover. I can get softwood decking from nearby sawmill approx cost 850 euro to cover area 10.9 metres by 1.8 metres. I then have to find carpentar to install.
I got a quote of 6200 euro for supply and fitting of hardwood decking including vat. The person that gave me the latter quote told me softwood decking would only last a few years. Is the maintenance similiar whether it is softwood or hardwood? If anybody has softwood installed for a number of years what is your experience? Is extra cost for hardwood justified?

Re: Decking

We live on a very wet and windy site overlooking the Blessington reservoir. We got a tanalised softwood deck in 1996. The only treatment it has had since is pressure washing twice a year to remove the algae.
Other than the appearance which has aged, I would say it is as good as new.
The tanalising was done in Brooks Thomas and I seem to remember there was a fifteen year guarantee, so I would expect to get at least 20 years.

I imagine the lifespan of the hardwood deck is similar, but I think you have to oil the wood periodically. It's bound to look better when it ages, but is it worth the extra money? Probably not.

If you do go for softwood make sure the tanalising is done properly and get the end grains sealed.

Haille, any idea how much the carpenter is going to charge? Even roughly?
(Need to know for my own house)

Have nt approached carpentar yet. I got a quote for supply and fitting of hard wood decking from a company close on 8000 for a big area 10.8M by 3 metres wide.

Back