Deciding to separate wife wants to sign home over to me

willman1

Have been married for 20 years have 2 teenagers, wife has decided to split and she wants to sign the family home over to me. Can this be done through a solicitor or is she pulling my leg. I am also in the process of purchasing a home abroad to which her name is on the contract and she has pulled out of that deal. Can new contract be drawn up, can I protect this property which is being bought only by me to exclude her from any ownership. Bad time for this to happen any help would be much appreciated.

Yes she can sign the house over to you. She may look for some of the equity though. In relation to the other contract, if she's signed it how can she get out of it? Do you mean she's told you she's not going to proceed?

Talk to a solicitor. Any form of agreement ( i.e. signing over anything) should be done as part of a complete package and not piecemeal.

Issues are kids, property, assets, income, outgoings, pensions and going for as clean a break as is possible. While maintenance will always be an issue, in reality, the Courts are increasingly less likely to revisit old settlements - particularly where they have been generous and one party has simply wasted assets away.

Most agreements these days have a clause - "intended to be in full and final settlement".......

mf

In relation to the other contract, if she's signed it how can she get out of it? Do you mean she's told you she's not going to proceed? Yes she has told me she is not going to proceed. What are my options, Can I get a new contract drawn up as the property abroad is not finished yet. She has signed the existing contract but she will not sign the mortgage documents therfore leaving me with the bill. Has she an obligation to fulfill her part of the contract? but refuse to pay for it. I would rather pay for it myself and keep it for myself, but I am afraid she will try to take half of it for free???

If I were you, I'd be more focussed on the fact that your marriage is breaking up!

mf

If I were you, I'd be more focussed on the fact that your marriage is breaking up!

mf

Doesn't sound like there is much OP can do about it- time to focus on the realities unfortunately, that's life!