Deciding on fixing for 1,2,3 years or longer - this issue of breakage fees

GerardK

All

With the Irish retail banks commencing their mortgage rate increases in recent times, it is noted that Bank of Ireland has been sending out letters to customers (including myself) who’s fixed rate expires later in 2022. The correspondence is offering customers the ability to fix for up to 5 years at 2.9%-3% and for 10 years at 3.3%.

The question posed is whether to fix for 1, 2, 3 or 5 years as the rate is about the same. A factor in the decision making is potentially a sale of the property in the next few years potentially. If in a fixed term at that point, a breakage fee will apply per the bank’s criteria. The key component of the calculation appears to be inter-bank interest rates. As I understand it, as inter-bank interest rates rise, the break fee falls.

So for those of us who are considering perhaps fixing for 3 or 5 years but possibly selling before that, a measure of crystal ball gazing is needed.

Below seems to be the position but if anyone else is considering the tenure of fixing in the coming weeks, your thoughts welcomed.

The key components of Bank of Ireland’s break fee calculation appear to be R% and R1%.

R% in their calculation seems to be the rate which was the cost of funds at the time for Bank of Ireland when the mortgage holder decides to fix. This is moving up but is close to zero still as I understand that Bank of Ireland issue bonds in the covered bond market which are AAA rated so funding cost must be close to zero. When you look at their interim report for FY22 at https://investorrelations.bankofireland.com/app/uploads/Interim-Report-HoldCo-2022-Web.pdf it would seem from The Net Interest Income Note on page 8 that their average cost of funding group-wide is close to slightly below zero.

R1% in their calculation seems to be the rate available to them for a deposit of an amount equivalent to the mortgage principal presumably at the date of break-out of fixed rate mortgage in the future. I assume the deposit rate has been zero or less over the last number of years but is on the rise and next year and thereafter will increase over zero as ECB base rates rise.

So, I infer from above (if indeed correct) that if one breaks from a Bank of Ireland fixed rate in 2023-2025, there should be no break fee? This is on the basis that R% is effectively close to zero now and the expectation is that R1% must be higher than R% in the future as ECB rates rise. So R% minus R1% would give you a negative % and therefore the formula results in a nil fee.

Not sure if all of the above makes sense to others but any comments/observations welcomed.

To note - BoI is obliged to send you what the prevailing R% is when they make the offer. This is a key feature to allow you to understand the features of the product.

You just have to ask them but they must oblige.

The Net Interest Income Note on page 8 that their average cost of funding group-wide is close to slightly below zero.
I don't think it's the right benchmark. AFAIK they use something very close to EURIBOR. The 3 month rate was around 1.25% the last time I checked.

So, I infer from above (if indeed correct) that if one breaks from a Bank of Ireland fixed rate in 2023-2025, there should be no break fee?
Not necessarily. It depends on whether the reference rate when you seek to break is above or below what it was when you seek to break. You can request a quote from them to break and re-fix as often as you like.

@GerardK As @NoRegretsCoyote says, the correct rates to use are EURIBOR (I think) – not BOI's net interest income or anything like that. So it's not safe to assume that break fees will be zero over the next few years if you fix now.

Swap rates provide a good approximation of EURIBOR and can be looked up online:

These figures of course were not accurate either today or 6 months ago.
Whenver I've requested it BoI sent me a worked example with a R% used on date of fixing and an up-to-date R1%. I've done this five or six times. Once they made a total mess of the calculations but fixed it on request.

They sent me some mumbo jumbo generic quote
To be frank I think you just don't understand what they've sent you.

To be frank I think you just don't understand what they've sent you.
In fairness, I'd say lomber understands break fees very well and Bank of Ireland just sent him a generic worked example like this one.

I never managed to get Ulster Bank to send me the actual values they used for R and R1 either.

In fairness, I'd say lomber understands break fees very well and Bank of Ireland just sent him a generic worked example like this one.

I never managed to get Ulster Bank to send me the actual values they used for R and R1 either.
Hi Paul, I believe that banks here use the prevailing, EUR swap rate with equivalent fixed rate, on the day of drawdown vs. the current swap rate that most closely represents the number of years remaining in the fixed rate period. i.e. if you drew down your 5 year fixed rate mortgage in May 2019, the 5-yr swap rate on that day is the starting reference point, R. In this example, a borrower would be c. 3.5 years through their 5-yr fixed rate period, so the bank would take today's 1-year swap rate as R1.

Data wise, there are a few sites that offer historical swap rate data. The Investing.com link below usually works well.

@unknowninsider Thanks – yes, I use swap rates to estimate break fees.

But I think only some lenders use swap rates in their calculations. It would be nice if they did what they are supposed to do and provided the rates they used on request.

Back