Decent lawnmower at a decent price

bluetoff

Anyone aware of any good deals on lawnmowers at the moment, nothing too fancy,elctric or petrol

Flymo petrol one available in Homebase at the moment. EUR200 odd. Alternatively check the buy and sell for a good Harry lawnmower, might be a bargain to be had.

Its horses for courses. If you have a big garden then you need a petrol one and ifs its rough and wild you might need extra power ie up to 6hp.
Otherwise if its a small flat patch front and back any electrical one will suffice - but do try and get a brand name for service later. Saw some good deals in Woodies at weekend...

I've a cheap "Castlegarden" mover with B&S engine which cost me about €199 4 years ago. You can still get cheap mowers for this money now.

Woodie's have a cheap Black and Decker for about €72. Does the job for a small garden/
Rgds
Billo

B & Q had 25% off all Flymo's last weekend. Dont know if it was just for the Bank Holiday weekend.

got a McCullagh 4hp petrol last year for €159 (ex display model were doing for €199) seems very good. It says pump 3 times before starting. Was in shed all winter, got it out, pumped 3 times and it started first time. Seems to give a good cut, have ended up lending it to the neighbour because she says it "gives a better finish" than her electric one. 9In fairness I think her electric one is quite old)

AFAIK they are available at the same price this year.

Re: Craftsman 42" deck (mulching) Ride-on Lawnmower €2,500 New

Hi,

This is my first time to use your website, so here goes !!

I was going to purchase the above. I have about 0.75 acre of grass to cut (relatively flat) with a fair bit of moss.

Can anyone give me advice on this machine ?

Any replies would be welcome.

if lawnmower is made of steel it will eventually rust, and engine will fall through. if made of aluminium it will last longer. I have a small garden front and back. lawnmower (mountfield) is 24 years old and started easily enough this year. neighbour with exactly same size front and back garden is on his 3rd mower in same period.

Hi droileen,

Welcome to AAM.

You may find something useful in these previous AAM threads on ride-on mowers and .

P.S. Do a lot of investigation before you spend that amount of money and might be worth your while to hire one out for a short while and see how it goes.

sueellen said:
P.S. Do a lot of investigation before you spend that amount of money and might be worth your while to hire one out for a short while and see how it goes.

I would go with sueellen on this one, in terms of renting out, AFAIK there are cheaper ride-on out there, I know that the mulcher always adds extra.

A mate of mine has a similar size site to yours (his not quite as big) and he bought a ride on last year --> but with a gravelled parking area, decking (in two areas), a shed with a wider concrete area, a shrubs area, vegtable area, flower beds etc (he likes his gardening!!) he reckons for the size of lawns left it wasn't really worth his while spending money on a ride on, (and the excercise of walking around after ordinary would be good).

I suppose it depends on your intentions/ if you want a ride on you want a ride and should have one!!

On the subject of ride ons - my cousin rented a 4 Hp petrol for a few months on a new build - letting the hire mower weed out the stones I suppose. Fed up with the 2 weekly 4 hour session he went in search of a ride on. Having done the deal and while accepting delivery he commented on how much he was looking forward to having his weekends back with the new ride on. What d'ya mean says delivery man. Takes me 4 hours every fortnight says cousin. Oh says delivery - will still take u 4 hours - you'll just be sittin' instead of walkin'

Dunnes have a Flymo for 50E today

Craftsman is a cheap US brand.
If you are going to mulch you might be better off with a proper 20" to 22" walk behind dedicated mulcher for that size of lawn - it'll do a better job and you'll get some exercise - I'm thinking Husqvarna MasterCut or MasterPro.
Kill your moss in the autumn - mulching depends on the crass cuttings being able to fall down to the roots and rot away which doesn't happen if you've got moss. don't mulch if you site isn't well drained.

10to1 said:
On the subject of ride ons - my cousin rented a 4 Hp petrol for a few months on a new build - letting the hire mower weed out the stones I suppose.

cure hoorism is alive and well in Ireland
there really are people who will try to get away with anything!!

Bought a PowerDevil 3.5hp petrol lawnmower in B&Q two weeks ago for E95.00 it's a great machine the deck is plastic so no chance of rusting through, it's been lawnmowing bliss ever since

[broken link removed]

Good Luck

bluetoff said:
Anyone aware of any good deals on lawnmowers at the moment, nothing too fancy,elctric or petrol
not the cheapest but long term the best solution. A mulching mower where there is no collecting at all. Our firm only uses them [all four inc ride on] the service is the most important bit. Try A&L machinery donabate01-8404024 or try the ALCI website [broken link removed] the landscape contractors website. They have a trade members list so you can just ring around. If you are doing it on the cheap - ask any of them for a commercial second hand mower they have lasted my [entire] family [ of ten] a lifetime.

Other than this you are into the woodies/ ALDI/ etc style range and thats a route you could also take?