Deceased Person listed as owner with Land Regsitry

TableEnd

How do we find out who now owns the land. We rang the registry with a folio number and were told the name of the person who owned it. This person is dead more than 20 years. How do we find it who actually owns the land?

Detective work!

The estate of the deceased did not register any change of ownership so maybe there never was a Probate and maybe no-one wants the property? More likely, the estate/family just continued to operate as before.

Is it worth asking why you want to know?

mf

It was my grand-father in laws which my father in law and ourselves now grazes sheep on. My husband would love if my father in law would will him this land but he is not sure who it was left to. My Father in law transferred his complete estate to his eldest son. This is the only remaining land that might be within his power to will or gift eventually. We would rather find out the proper owner first without approaching my father in law to see would he be willing to allow us use at least for another few years.

Noting what @mf1 has said, it does strike me that there could be an adverse posession situation here.

Basically if someone who is in occupation unhindered for 12 years though they are not the owner, might acquire the land.

Who has been operating the land? What was the deal, if any?

Adverse possession only arises where there is an actual intention to dispossess the true owner. No such intention is evident here.

mf

My father in law has always operated the land. I just would be afraid it had been willed to someone else. He is the eldest son and while he got majority of the land some of his brothers also received some. No will of grandfather went to probate.

Back