DECB or Fas Start your own business courses - which is best?

deedee80

Hi there, I would like to do a course in starting my own business and have looked into both mentioned above. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of either and would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance

I went to a FAS open night before to see what was on the actual course, but I really only needed the taxation part of it, so didn't bother with it in the end. It seemed as if it was geared towards helping with business plans and finding ideas for a businesses. As I already knew what I would be doing, I thought it would be a waste of time.
sorry can't be more helpful.

Thanks myate - I think I am leaning more towards the DCEB course as the location suits me better and it is mentioned on their site that they can organise mentoring. I would find this invaluable.

I can't speak on behalf of FAS but i've heard great reports about the start your own business courses held by the Enterprise Boards.

They also offer other services such as mentoring and they run various courses which would apply to your business once you're up and running.

You can find info through their website... [broken link removed]

Hi,

Well i did an enterprise board course a few months ago on the southside of city and I was extremely disapointed.

I thought the structure,the layout,everything about the course was all wrong.I thought that all the lecturers except maybe two of them were very poor, reading straight off the notes and bluffing on their answers to the questions that was asked by the partcipants.

I could have done this myself.

I will say that I knew quite a bit going into it which was self thought so maybe I'm a bit too harsh.Still I thought the standard was extremely poor and it was just another day at the office for the trainers.

and unless your a manufacturer,software,or export you will get no money.

Best of luck anyway.I am sure there a good enterprise boards out there somewhere...!!!!