Debt consolidation advice

C

cyprus

Just looking for some advice. We are thinking of releasing equity in our home to pay off some debts and wanted to see if people think that it's a good idea.
We have the following debts:

Bank Loan €17,000 (repayment €420 pm)
CU Loans €32,000 and €13,000 (repayments €700 and €350 pm)
CC €3000
OD €2000
Car Loan €4000 (repayment €300 pm)

Our joint income is €120,000 and we have a mortgage of €280,000 on a property worth €390,000. We are a married couple with no dependents and would like to be out of debt (barring mortgage) in about 2 yrs time.
Any advice greatly appreciated!

I won't ask how you managed to owe so much but I would guess that it's nearly all lifestyle related. Stop using your credit card straight away and start paying for things in cash /laser where possible. Try stay out of the pub. Limit it to 1 night a week.

To pay off what you owe in 2 years would mean that you pay off over 3000 a month in repayments. Is this realistic?
You could re-mortgage to consolidate the other debts but you would need to be very strict with yourself or you will end up in the same position again.but with larger debts.

If you decide not to re-mortage then start by paying off the loans with the highest rate of interest first. Overdraft and Credit card for starters.

You are really stretching yourself and I preume not feeling to good about having debts here there and everywhere. I was in a similiar position and I remortgaged ( equity release ) My debts are more manageable, the interest rates are lower. I overpay every chance I get , I try not to use my credit card but if I have to I lodge money to pay it off straight away. So if you release equity be sure to pay it off in the shortest time possible and over-pay as much as possible.

If you do consolidate such debts onto the mortgage then try to clear them in a few years rather than a few decades otherwise they may well cost more in the long run. You should also generally consider consolidation of lifestyle and other spending debts onto the mortgage as a once off opportunity to regain control of your finances and not bank on doing it again soon after. So address the spending habits that are leading you into such temptation and debt.