Debit card issue

M

Mickj

I have a quick question if anybody could help me out. I have a current account in a BOI in Galway from when I was in college there. I rarely use it anymore since I have lived and worked in London for the past 3 years. I keep some money in it just so I don't have to constantly change currency when I come back on holidays. When my ATM card snapped and I was back home I went to the branch to ask for a debit/laser card instead.

I was told I wasn't entitled to one as I don't have a regular salary going into the account, despite the fact I have over €1200 in the account, an overdraft facility for €500 and haven't let it go under €200 in 3 years. When I pressed the girl on this she claimed it was "standard banking practice". Is that really the case?

It's not really much of an issue for me since I'm only home a few times a year and that's all I want it for instead of carrying cash constantly or using my credit cards.

Similar story here: same problem, same town, different bank though.

I didn't request a debit card or a checkbook when I opened an account two years ago. Later, it took almost six weeks (plus couple of phone calls and several e-mails) to convince them to issue me a Laser card. But it can be done, just takes a lot of patience.

I hope i can piggy back on this topic..... if not, sorry!!!

I was in a filling station today, wanted to purchase a newspaper, coke bottle and large lunch roll... came to about 6.50 and i handed in my debit card......

the lady behind the counter politley smiled and said "10 euro or more for a laser payment"........
so i explained that i didnt have the cash, looked around to signify that i observed that the place was not busy, and asked if they had an ATM, which she replyed they didnt, so i politely asked if she could put through the payment.
I received the same reply, almost verbatim, "10 euro or more for a laser payment".....

so i explained that i had to leave the items.....
note also that the roll had been made to order.

my question is this......

can they put a minimum amout on a debit card payment?
can they refuse to accept a debit card payment if they are equipped for one???