Debit Card for Teenager

CrazyWater

Hi,
Appreciate advice on what Debit Card options for a teenager.

My son (14) is going on a school trip to the continent. Obviously, just giving him cash is risky so, I was wondering about getting him some sort of debit card that he could use at home and abroad that I could top up as needed.

Thanks.

PTSB provide teen debit cards and pay some interest on the current account balances.
I take it this would mean that we would have to set up a C/A in his name. That seems like more hassle than I was hoping for. BTW we bank with BOI.

Revolut was my immediate response as well, until I saw the over 18 limit.

Setting up a revolut account in your name, and giving him the (physical) card for the trip could be an option.
The card can have a lot of security features enabled (knowing 14 yr olds it might be wise). It can be restricted to physical purchases (no internet), and various other limits. It can be disabled with one click, if it is stolen or lost.
Also being a debit card, you cannot spend more than is in the account.
It can be set up to tap only, with the corresponding limit (don't know what it is off hand).

And with the App on the phone, you can see all purchases instantly (he's not going to Amsterdam is he? )

But one caveat, make sure to secure the ability to transfer money into the account, from your existing account, so it can't be done automatically.

If you are not familiar with the Revolut card/account, have a look at it. It certainly would be the easiest/tick most of the boxes as far as I can see.

Could there be an issue if a shop was to query a 14 yr old using a card with a different name? Is there prepaid gift cards that can be used like debit cards.

Think I might go with giving him my Revolut card. Thanks for the additional info/advice. LOL no, not Amsterdam!

Have taken kids on school trips who have used An Post Money Card - I don't know much about it but has worked well for them

My daughter is spending the year in Denmark. We got her a debit card linked to her own AIB account. It doesn't need to be a current account.

How long is the school trip? How much money does he really need?

Yes, he might lose the cash - but isn't learning consequences part and parcel of growing up?

In my experience 90% of their pocket money goes on sweets and fizzy drinks.

Have taken kids on school trips who have used An Post Money Card - I don't know much about it but has worked well for them

The An Post Money Card does not offer free FX. It is "commission free" but charges FX margins. Better off with Revolut if possible.

The An Post Money Card does not offer free FX. It is "commission free" but charges FX margins.
Raises a valid question. If OPs child is traveling to a Eurozone country it might be a good option in that scenario.
I've only ever looked at the an post card from an FX perspective, but are there no fees if you use it as a Euro only card?

How long is the school trip? How much money does he really need?

Yes, he might lose the cash - but isn't learning consequences part and parcel of growing up?

In my experience 90% of their pocket money goes on sweets and fizzy drinks.
It’s a week and no, he won’t need much money. He’s actually very good at managing his bit of money and it was he himself that asked about getting a debit card for the trip.
Agreed, about the learning and consequences but in this case he is being proactive about his money management so it makes sense to support that.