Death Sentence for Saddam Hussein

Vanilla

Personally I was appalled to hear of the verdict in Hussein's trial. I was wondering what others thought of the sentence.

I'm fundamentally opposed to the death sentence in any circumstance, but even apart from that, doesn't it seem likely that, if carried out, this will make a martyr of him? Won't it make the situation much worse?

Plus it would appear that the trial was far from fair:

It amazes me that Britain seems to condone the trial and the verdict. I'm not surprised at all about the comments from Bush and his administration. The EU presidency opposes the death sentence, there are similar views from other European countries.

According to a news bulletin on the car radio (probably Phantom), he will face death by hanging squad ? How would THAT work ?

I believe the death penalty is wrong in all cases (until of course someone close to me is a victim). Better IMHO to put him back in the hole they found him and make him live out his years in squalor.

To us it's pointless and probably counterproductive, but, perhaps, the Iraqi tribunal (pity ours don't have those powers ) had to come up with this verdict in order to have any credibility amongst the general populace. Presumably the Iraqi's are pretty much in favour of the death penalty, and if so, what other sentence could they have handed down?

It amazes me that Britain seems to condone the trial and the verdict. I'm not surprised at all about the comments from Bush and his administration. The EU presidency opposes the death sentence, there are similar views from other European countries.
Not just the presidency - opposition to capital punishment for all crimes is a central tenet of the EU and the Council of Europe more generally and its abolition is a requirement for accession countries:

European Union and the Death Penalty (Capital Punishment)

Capital punishment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The European Union and the Council of Europe both strictly require member states not to practice the death penalty. The only European country to do so is Belarus - this is one of the reasons why Belarus is excluded from the Council of Europe.

He could not had hoped for anything less knowing the terriable deeds he has done throught his life, he is a bad man and I would have no problem doing the hanging if I was asked,this world is getting to soft on people who commit evil acts .I just wish the death penalty was here for all child abusers aswell.

I'm not surprised at all about the comments from Bush and his administration.

yeah, and he's a pro-life president...
It never ceases to amaze me the attitude of some (a minority I hope) on the American right who are against abortion but pro death penalty.

I just wish the death penalty was here for all child abusers aswell.
A 17 year old who has consensual sex with a 15 year old is legally a child abuser. Do you think they should hand for that offence or should your comment be qualified?

I think hanging may be too good for him! Perhaps he should be subjected to the chemical weapons that he used against his own people and the people of Iran.

Maybe they should subject him to the WMDs which were the basis for invasion? Er, um...

It never ceases to amaze me the attitude of some (a minority I hope) on the American right who are against abortion but pro death penalty.

...as opposed to those of us on this side of the pond who are pro-abortion but anti-death penalty...

...as opposed to those of us on this side of the pond who are pro-abortion but anti-death penalty...

yeah, an equally bizarre point of view, and not just on this side of the pond.

But my point still stands, if one finds abortion fundamentally wrong at every level, I don't see how one can ever support the death penalty....it just doesn't make sense.

A 17 year old who has consensual sex with a 15 year old is legally a child abuser. Do you think they should hand for that offence or should your comment be qualified?
No I do not think a 17 yr old should be put to death, I think you know what I mean, ie christian brothers and priests who force rape and violence on 5 years olds, fathers who sexually abuse their own kids,

yeah, and he's a pro-life president...
America have this one right, death penalty for guilty people, unborn children are innocent so have a right to life, people who killed other people lost that right as soon as they committed their crimes, these people on death row in the USa did not steal sweets

No I do not think a 17 yr old should be put to death, I think you know what I mean, ie christian brothers and priests who force rape and violence on 5 years olds, fathers who sexually abuse their own kids,

Would you have been happy had Nora Wall and Paul `Pablo' McCabe been executed following their conviction in June 1999 for the rape of a young girl in a Child Care home in Waterford? What would you have said when it later emerged that both were 100% innocent, and their convictions were quashed?

I am all for the death penalty for all murderers, the sooner saddam and his cohorts are strung up the better,capital punishment need to be brought back big time

Not necessarily any contradiction there. It all depends on your views on when an embryo or foetus can be considered to be human.

I am all for the death penalty for all murderers, the sooner saddam and his cohorts are strung up the better,capital punishment need to be brought back big time
You might want to consider emigrating from the EU to somewhere like Belarus or Texas so.

Think its all gotten a bit clouded. Doesn't matter which judge convicted or sentenced him - decision was made by the US government.
Yes his crimes were terrible but anyboy who supports the verdict and welcomes it as true justice (especially anyone in power) needs to be asked why they are not actively looking for the heads of all the other despots and mass murderers in the world today. Politics, power and the good old dollar!
Keep on after them 'turrurists' dubya

The correctness of his trial & detainment is quite worrying, in that there are many allegations on both sides. Perhaps in issuing a death sentence the coutt were attempting to ensure that his punishment was final & absolute. The running of this trial may not have stood up to the close scrutiny of human rights organisations & other bodies following its completion. Fear of his securing freedom in the future may have forced the hand of the court.

The court in doing so balanced one evil against another. Ensure that Saddam is punished by death & never freed or sentence him to life imprisonment to prevent acts avenging his death but risk him being set free at some point.

My own personal opinion is that his execution can only cause the deaths of many more people in his name, followers & innocents.

Given these choices I would have imprisoned him for life & hoped that the trial could hold water. If he were to be freed one day, his survival as one man could not balance the lives spared.

ainya said:
I am all for the death penalty for all murderers .. capital punishment need to be brought back big time

Yeah - cos the USA have the death penalty for murder and that really stopped people commiting that crime there .

Last edited: