Dealing with manufacturers/ suppliers in China

J

jonodaly

Hi, I am looking for some advise on dealing with Chinese manufacturers. The product I would like develop is a new idea, and would not have been produced before. I am in the process of searching for appropriate manufacturers.I have checked out some suppliers who produce goods in the same category as my product, however they appear to have their own brand and appear to only produce goods which are on their website.. Is this assumption correct or is it worth calling.

What is the best way to make initial contact, email or phone?

Also I will need to give a "good will" payment for samples, the manufacturer will have to develop these from my drawings etc.. Is there any way I can calculate what amount I should pay or will the manufacturer give me a quote for the samples?

Jono,

I have some experience in this area. What type of product are you talking about ?

I have PM'd my details.

D

Be prepared to pay a lot of 'goodwill' money to a lot of people when you do business in China.

Manufacturers in China generally have a fairly narrow product range but for the right order will be prepared to quote for OEM (i.e. making something new) - if its not in their scope of expertise they probably wont even quote. That doesnt mean to say that if someone does quote that it is acutally within their area of expertise . So yes they will give you a cost based on your drawings.

You can find lots of companies on line on alibaba.com or made-in-china.com and you can get in touch there. They'll need fairly specific details to give you a quote. I'd email them first as written english tends to be better than spoken (let alone the time difference) but then after that get talking. down the line you'll probably want to go out and meet the company too.

As you are talking about an OEM project generally you will have to pay a mould cost which covers set up and pay for the sample aswell. these can be a lot less than similar set up costs here but the variable cost (i.e. eventual cost per item should be the real deal maker). This isnt a 'goodwill' cost- its the cost of setting up production for your sample. If you're asked for a goodwill payment ditch the supplier.

Be careful about sending your complete drawings out to lots of different suppliers - who knows you may avoid paying mould cost but your product makes it to market without you

There are other routes to finding good suppliers - pm me if you want more details.

Good luck