Dead internet forums

Bridget1984

We all know that internet forums aren't as busy today thanks to social media but some are worse than others, look at the state of magicmum and it riddled by illigal scammers

[link to scams removed - Brendan]

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares except yourself? And why it is dead is not a topic for this forum. Seems like a scam to generate traffic for whatever you are up to, so no I will not check your link. Best ignored.

Hi Bridget

The fight against scam posts is a continuous fight for us on Askaboutmoney. You probably don't see it often, as we delete it quickly and ban the posters.

But magicmum seems to be a very busy and active site so I can't see how you would describe it as a "dead internet forum".

Have you reported these posts so that they will be dealt with?

It's bad for magicmum to have them because Google does not like links to scam sites and downgrades the referring site accordingly.

Brendan

I thought Magicmum bit the dust a long time ago when the bulk of the posters left after some change and went to a new forum called Heymammy

Ah, I hadn't looked at it closely - I just saw a lot of recent posts.

But Bridget is right. It is all spam.

That is a terrible pity as it had a good reputation.

Brendan

It is all spam.

As you know yourself Brendan, dealing with spam is a constant battle. Sometimes they win the war.

AAM has strict anti-spam policies and it works. What also works is keeping the site layout simple and free from advertising.

You get what you ask for on AAM ... a forum that deals with money matters in a simple and easily accessed manner.

I think the exodus from magicmum had more to do with the fact that it was bought by mummypages and the ethos seriously changed, it's probably become infiltrated by spam in it's semi dead stage. Would not be surprised is the same now happens to rollercoaster which has just been bought out by Daily Mail apparently. The chance of stories being lifted and published will be enough to put off a lot of posters on that site.

Why would users leave a fourm due to a change of ownership? Surely mummypages would have been a good fit? Anyway why on earth have the owners allowed the magicmum forum into such a state of disrepair? Surely they should close/lock it rather than spambolts having free rein?

I can't even remember why, I'm sure the site was changed and obviously the users considered not for the better!

Don't why it has been left fall into disrepair, it is odd but there are a lot of once very active sites like that, I could name a couple of wedding ones that used to be very popular but seems fb pages have taken over and the sites just sit there derelict.

there are a lot of once very active sites like that,

That is a very interesting observation.

Were they replaced by better sites?

Neighbours.ie used to be very busy. It seems to be just old threads resurrected now.

Maybe that is because it's so easy to set up a website, that the residents of a particular area set up their own forum, Facebook page or other online group.

Brendan

Forums are high maintenance. Need tight but fair moderation.

They also seem to attract a lot of people who want to argue and attack people rather than discuss anything. You can disagree without resorting to attacking people.

Forums also have a high ratio of very narrow minded people. In that they speak from a very narrow range of experience. They don't consider the situation from outside of that.

I think this is why forums are falling out favour.

I think FB groups at the very least are taking over and maybe smaller individual type groups are you say. I wouldn't agree that there is a high ratio of narrow minded people on those particular sites I mentioned anyway, there is always a couple of trouble makers but you can spot them pretty quickly and just avoid.

Regarding moderation there is very little on rollercoaster or heymammy, the very odd time a mod has to step in about anything. I have to say I joined those sites in the cooking section for various reasons back when but stayed for the general discussion which can be very interesting and enlightening on subjects I would not have been that familiar with. A great place too to ask advice on a product/service etc.

In general they are more information sites than discussions, usually most helpful with all sorts of queries, yes there is the occasional cranky topic and in fact the only thread I can recall being deleted by mods in recent years was one about a certain high profile couple and their arrears. Unfortunately it deteriorated so far it had to be removed, quite a lot of people on those sites have had their own money troubles through the recession as in general I do think the average family income on them would be middle of the road with a lot of stay at home mothers (and it is mainly women on those sites obviously) and part time workers so it hit a chord that someone could live rent and mortgage free for many years.

Yes, look at the way the first person who replied to this thread attacked me right away

:)

It shows the difficulty in moderation.

You had included a link to a page with multiple links to scams. I thought that you might have been a scammer until I noticed that you had a few other genuine posts. So I just edited out the link.

Jim probably just assumed you were a scammer.

I was going to delete his post, but it does show how there are misunderstandings and how they can quickly get out of hand. This one hasn't but I have seen huge fights over nothing.

Brendan

Back