Dead Dell Laptop

dublinman

Bought an dell inspiron laptop (1150) model two years ago for 1200 euro. Over the last few months, it seems hotter than normal, and the battery life has fallen way off. Then 2 days ago, it won't turn on.

To cut a long story short, rang dell (india) and they say its 400 euro to replace the heat sink and motherboard.

Is it a waste of time getting it repaired?

If so, what do people think of acer laptops- saw a nice one in power city for 800 Euro

Thanks

Laptop drop dead after 2 year certainly is not acceptable.

Dell should give compensation as agood will gesture or offer to get it fixed.

you should get on to the customer care and complaint about this.

its not a cheap laptop..€1200..

Over the last few months, it seems hotter than normal, and the battery life has fallen way off. Then 2 days ago, it won't turn on.
Does it not even switch on while connected to the power supply (as opposed to running solely off the battery)? Any chance your battery was subject to the recent Dell battery recall?

I recently bought a Dell laptop for about 1400 lids...it was after all that battery recall stuff. It gets really hot though when I use it, uncomfortably so in fact. Is this normal or the sign of an imminent neutering for me?!

No, its not a battery problem only (won't work on mains either)
Its not (yet?) covered by the battery recall

Thinking of going small claims court route

Persist with Dell - at least one other AAM user did and got satisfaction even though the machine was out of warranty if I recall correctly. Otherwise start thinking about the Small Claims Court or at least getting advice from the [broken link removed]/ etc.

I recently bought a Dell laptop for about 1400 lids...it was after all that battery recall stuff. It gets really hot though when I use it, uncomfortably so in fact. Is this normal or the sign of an imminent neutering for me?!
Not sure what you mean by "uncomfortably". If you mean it causes you concern, then no, it shouldn't get so hot and worth checking out (lots of utilities out there that monitor and provide details on the current temp of the pc - I know I have one (came as part of some other system monitor I downloaded) but can't think of the name offhand, I can have a look this eveing if it might help. Think my own laptop usually runs around 40C [not sure if that's high or not in relative terms] if that helps).

If you mean it makes your legs hot (etc.)... it shouldn't really be there. While the name "laptop" does suggest it, correct use should really be with the notebook/laptop placed on a table/hard surface. If you have it on your lap/couch/etc. then you could possibly be blocking the fan. Many modern laptops will become warm/hot if used on a surface which doesn't provide adequate clearance for the base of the unit.

Not sure what you mean by "uncomfortably". If you mean it causes you concern, then no, it shouldn't get so hot and worth checking out (lots of utilities out there that monitor and provide details on the current temp of the pc - I know I have one (came as part of some other system monitor I downloaded) but can't think of the name offhand, I can have a look this eveing if it might help. Think my own laptop usually runs around 40C [not sure if that's high or not in relative terms] if that helps).

If you mean it makes your legs hot (etc.)... it shouldn't really be there. While the name "laptop" does suggest it, correct use should really be with the notebook/laptop placed on a table/hard surface. If you have it on your lap/couch/etc. then you could possibly be blocking the fan. Many modern laptops will become warm/hot if used on a surface which doesn't provide adequate clearance for the base of the unit.

Thanks Satanta...I messed around with it today and it seems to only get really hot when on my lap are on the duvet. Must be a ventilation issue.

one question , have you tried starting it with the battery removed. The battery may be blown and affecting the startup of the laptop.

Back