DCC Tenant Purchase Scheme, Arrears?

A

adrie1

Hi all,

This might seem like a weird question and a bit muddled, but bear with me on this one.

I began renting a property in October 2008 and was paying €1100 a month. In June of 2009 the landlord dropped the rent to €950 a month.

Today, after I arrived home there was a card put in the door from Dublin City Council, I thought it was about the recent water shortage so picked up the card and read it.

The card says that there is €5000+ owed on the account. It is from the Rent and Purchasing Scheme controls section of the council.

Now obviously I know nothing about this as far as I was aware either the landlord owned this property straight out or was purchasing it themselves as they mentioned a mortgage payment when I paid rent two days late last year.

What I want to know is, what are the implications of this? Obviously the landlord has not been paying the money owed to Dublin City Council and I have forwarded the card to the landlord. But €5000 euro is a lot of money and I am now worried about losing what is effectively my home at the moment.

Do they have to go through proper repossesion channels? Or would they just turn up one day and turf us out if the landlord does nothing about this?

I might mention that the landlord is not registered with the PRTB either as I recently found out while checking the registry.

Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
The landlord named on the lease is himself and his wife. I make payments through the bank. The DCC card was addressed to the landlord.

Then the problem is between DCC and the landlord - nothing to do with you. Pass on the card to the landlord. You could cover yourself by emailing DCC to tell them that you are the tenant, but this could bring further problems. I guess that the landlord is not supposed to be renting to you, so DCC may start proceedings to reposses the property and evict you.

Try http://www.threshold.ie for further advice.

I'd agree. Looks like the "landlord" has been subletting a council property to you. Start looking for a new property and engage with your landlord about getting your deposit back whilst he still has it to give. You will not be living in this property this time next year so just move now and don't get involved.

I would make the LLord aware you KNOW what the situation is, I doubt they will try and retain your deposit then.