Dca awarded after appeal

BrightHalo

Hello,
I just received notification via welfare site I have finally been awarded dca with 6 months backdating.
Rang dca but they have not yet received the letter from appeals so couldn't 100pc confirm this for me.

My question is, I initially applied Sept 2023, refused, then sent for review, refused, Dec 2023 sent for appeal and yesterday won with 6 months backdating.

So, will I get payment from March 2023. Has anyone been in same position. Thanks all.

Relieved mama.

I would argue, assuming there were no changes in your circumstances, that it should be payable from Sept 2023, which is when you applied.

Deciding Officers have discretion to backdate a payment for 6 months without any hassle. That's what your DO did in your case. I assume that a longer backdating requires the process to be escalated. But it's certainly worth asking for a review on the basis that the allowance should be backdated to the date when you first applied.

Be sure to apply for the CSG for 2024. And bear in mind that, if your appeal for backdating to 2023 is successful, then you may be eligible for the CSG for 2023 as well!

Last edited:
1 point thats important to note re 6 month backdating is that DCA, per my understanding, is payable for 2 years so whats the point in having it backdated? Gona get 2 yrs regardless?

Thanks all, I suppose my question is, backdating begins from month after my original application??? which would be Oct 2023, backdated 6 months from that date possibly. Hardly from when appeal was sent?

I assume I will get the carer grant automatically. I won't be applying for anything else as I work part time and single parent.

Back