Day out in Dublin for two kids-what to do?

ericsson

Hi all,

Minding my niece and nephew for a day this week. They live down the country and I live in Dublin and they are coming up to visit without mammy or daddy. They are 8 and 10.
Can anyone suggest anything that I could do with them for the day? I was thinking the zoo but am worried it might rain- still a possibility tho! Then I thought Sealife in Bray but that would only pass a couple of hours.
Money is very tight for me at the moment but I would like to make it a fun day. Would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Ericsson

The Science Gallery in Trinity is very good, no admission fee and the current exhibition sounds really interesting.

https://sciencegallery.com/

The old favourite the Natural History Museum is always worth a visit.

If the weather is nice , there is a playground in Merrion Sq.

Actually, all three of these suggestions are an easy walk from each other.

Brilliant suggestions there Huskerdo. I remember going to the science museum when I was younger and loving it. Would the history museum be suitable for their ages? Was also contemplating the wax museum or Dublinia? As I have no kids myself I haven't got a clue what kids are into these days!

Might be a little expensive but the Viking Splash Tour is a howl - my three old and I loved it so appeals to all ages.

Might be a little expensive but the Viking Splash Tour is a howl - my three old and I loved it so appeals to all ages.
+ 1 Kids love it.

Friend of mine was looking after the grandkids for the day and took them to Dublin Zoo - she said they had a fantastic day out and found the zoo very visitor/child friendly.

I wouldn't rely on the weather forecasts, they often get it wrong.

+1 to each of the Science Gallery and the Natural History Museum. The kids may be past the playground stage.

A DART ride to Bray ? The DART route gets scenic after Dalkey and Bray has the funfair type stuff.

With regard to weather, there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing !

Wax museum is not worth the money.

I'd go for following :
Luas from Town out to Collins Barracks - [broken link removed] (free admission)
My kids (age 6 & 9 loved it, especially all of the Army related exhibits and the Asgard )
Then onto Luas again to Heuston and short walk up to Phoenix Park (5 mins to bike hire place) - (should be 20-30 quid for 3 bikes for a few hours).
Hire bikes here : [broken link removed] - best to prebook
- Bring a picnic, cycle around to Papal Cross, Monument, find the deer, up to Magazine fort, up to Ashtown castle & playground - cycle paths are brilliant and the kids (or you) will have no problem on the bikes.
Back into town on the Luas and then it's up to you ... they will be wrecked but very happy !

A huge thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions. Firstly we went to the Phoenix Ark to feed the deers, then got the bus to town where we went to the science gallery (they loved it) And Merrion Sq. After this we walked up Grafton St. to look at the mime artist, musicians etc. We did a spot of shopping in Stephens Green and then went home. Then we went to a local shopping centre for a browse and had dinner there. Kids had a lovely day and it didn't break the bank. Will definitely be doing similar days again.

Thanks again,
Ericsson