Dates always wrong on solicitor's correspondence

Markkino

Hi probably simple answer but dealing with a solicitor and every time I get a letter off them the date on letter is always two to three weeks after post date . So is there a time limit on how long solicitor can leave letters before sending them thanks .

Every time you write to them you should reference the date of receipt. Or better still ask them to use something called ... email. If they have any qualms about this mention the Ecommerce Act, brought in 20 years ago this year. I despair of fellow solicitors sometimes.

Putting earlier dates in a letter than the actual date of typing is a ploy used by many. If it were in Maxwell Smart's television series it would have been called the old "backdate the letter by a fortnight trick." Very few would keep used envelopes or even date a letter by its receipt date. This is how it works - You receive a letter on Monday 21st of whatever; the letter is dated 7th of whatever and suddenly you jump up thinking you've fallen down on the job in your reply or (more likely) your payment to him.

My Medical Consultant does this all the time. It gets his money in faster. Good Credit Control Management when you think about it!

The utilities companies have been at this for years, pretending they're giving consumers 14 or 28 day's credit when in actual fact it will only be 2 or 3. Note the small print somewhere on the invoice where it states that it may take anything from 2 to 5 days to have your payment, electronic or not, posted to your account. This has nothing to do with banks or financial institutions, it's their own internal admin time.

A number of large Irish companies use service companies like Fuji to print and distribute their invoices, statements and other customer documentation. They do this in places like the Netherlands because they can get better bulk-mailing prices from there than the Irish companies can from An Post. So all the printing, paper-handing and posting happens elsewhere and the documents must travel back to Ireland, all eating into the time between the date printed on the document and the due-date for payment.

I always reply to such correspondence with an opening sentence such as "I refer to your letter dated X, postmarked Y, and received on Z."
It's no harm to put down a marker and it can be useful if things get heated and are escalated.

Thanks all for your answers think this is going to be a battle with solicitor and probate just found out that solicitor has put land into my mother's name and she is dead over a year can this be even possible or can solicitors just do what they like

Solicitors can be subject to file reviews by their Regulators if audited, or by the Courts in litigation. Dating correspondence earlier than when the letter is actually sent (backdating, as we call it) makes the file “look better” as it makes the Solicitor look less tardy than they actually are. It’s sharp practice and somewhat misleading. I have habitually received correspondence from Solicitors (on the opposing side of a case - I’m a Solicitor myself) which was dated weeks earlier than when I actually received it.

I found some insurance brokers do it too with renewal notices. supposed to be 21 days prior to renewal date but you might receive it 7 days before renewal date.

Back