Database upload when changing host

gauloise

I had sourced a new hosting company for my website but I have been told that I will need to upload all elements of my data base again as these cannot be uploaded along with web pages..is this correct? I was told this by my current hosting company by the way!

As always all answers greatly appreciated!

Well they would say that, they don't want to see your custom go elsewhere. Not that they're necessarily wrong - there could be different databases in use. Find out your current database type (e.g. mySQL, etc.) from your current hosts as well as how you could extract all the data from it if needed and then talk to the people at your new hosting company about your options and how best to transfer the data.

Web pages and databases are two separate things.

If the database is MySQL you should be able to get a backup / dump using something like PhpMyAdmin

If it's access you can simply download it via FTP

Thanks for the replies. How do I tell what type of database I have? The pages finish with .asp ...is this where I look? Have been having little response to my questions from current host needless to say!

If you send me the details directly I could have a look at it for you. I am a bit surprised that the current host can't / won't tell you what you are using...

If it's windows, it's probably an Access DB, possibly MS SQL. Access should exist as a *.mdb file in the web account.