Data Transfer between 2 PCs

jello1000

Hi,

I have recently bought a new computer and I wish to transfer or copy files from the old one to the new. Floppy disks are not an option due to file sizes similarly nor are CDs as the old one does not have the capability to write to CD/DVD.

I was thinking that I may be able to connect the two directly with a USB and use the new computer to copy data off the old. Although I think I am missing something here and dont think it is this easy. Although if this is possible is it just a matter of connecting the two via an USB and copying files in the same way as you would copy from a floppy or CD.

Is there any other way apart from setting up a network that I could do relatively quickly to transfer the files.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,

You could always get a null modem serial cable, connect the two PCs via their serial ports, run HyperTerminal (or another terminal emulator or file transfer program) on each and then send files (possibly zipped archives) from one side for receipt on the other. [broken link removed] explains what's involved. I'm sure that there are other sites out there that go into more detail. This would probably be the cheapest approach. [broken link removed] also sell a direct PC-PC USB connection kit for €23 in case that's of any use.

jello1000 said:
Hi,

I have recently bought a new computer and I wish to transfer or copy files from the old one to the new. Floppy disks are not an option due to file sizes similarly nor are CDs as the old one does not have the capability to write to CD/DVD.

I was thinking that I may be able to connect the two directly with a USB and use the new computer to copy data off the old. Although I think I am missing something here and dont think it is this easy. Although if this is possible is it just a matter of connecting the two via an USB and copying files in the same way as you would copy from a floppy or CD.

Is there any other way apart from setting up a network that I could do relatively quickly to transfer the files.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,

If your old PC has a CD or (even better) a DVD rewriter then I recommend using Norton Ghost or Nero Backup to create a backup image of your hard disk.

Whatever method you choose to transfer, you should definitely do a full backup of data on the old PC, and preferably a full backup as there is always some folder deeply nested in the bowels of Windows that will contain essential files that you don't want to lose!

I dont know how tehcie you are,but can take the old hard disk out from the PC and set it up as a slave disk " The jumper switch settings will be on the disk" You will have a two way IDE cable just plug it in and power on your new pc.
The setup of the PC will pick it up , go into my computer and you can view all the contents.I would leave it in as a second disk.
Run any anti spyware programme on your old pc before you copy anything across.

Hope it helps!!!!!!!!!.

Ihad that problem recently bought a new PC and needed to transfer the data

However My new PC had a SATA drive not IDE so the master slave was not an option

Instead I disconnected the CD/DVD drive and connected the old drive using the IDE Cable from the DVD/CD-Rom drive and that worked for me!

Good Luck.

I have just done the same using a USB to USB data transfer cable that I bought off Amazon.co.uk - worked like a charm!

Did it from Win XP to Win 98 SE and had no problems, was able to copy over my old Outlook Express data files etc...

I have also seen the same cable advertised on Peats, here:
[broken link removed]

My cable came with "PC Linq" software to connect them, opens a double browser window showing each hard drive.

€29 (or higher since I always find that the retail prices are higher than the website prices when I go in store) from Peats or €23 from Marx-Computers.. (both including VAT).... Hmmmm.... :)

Hi,

Went to Peats and got a USB data transfer cable. Got lucky though, it was priced at €39.95 on the box but when scanned at the till the price came up as €19.99. Guy in the end only charged €19.99 after checking.

Worked perfectly and was simple to set up.

Thanks again.

Back