Data Protection Request to Online Bookmaker, anyone?

Drakon

Hi,

I was wondering if any members have submitted a data protection request to an online bookmaker, and how to go about it. Is it just a case of sending an email asking them for their Data Protection Request Form (as I've done in the past with a bank) and pay them the €6.35? Do they have such a form and if not, do I have to spell out their legal obligations?

The reason I ask is that I've been with BoylesSports for about ten years and have been restricted by them for most of that time, even to the extent that I can only access my account via laptop browser. Can't get in via apps or even iPad browser. It has to be my laptop.
I rarely used the account anyway as their odds are rarely competitive.

But things have come to a head. They won't pay out on Folsom Blue's fourth place in the BoyleSports Irish Grand National, despite backing him each way and the bet receipt stating terms of 1,2,3,4,5,6 places. The email tennis during this week has been a masterclass in obfuscation from them.
I'm unlikely to get paid out, but I want to get something out of them. So if all I can get is knowing that an admin monkey spends a couple of hours printing off data dumps, email correspondence (advertising), etc, shoving it in a parcel and posting it to me, so be it.

And of course, if they refuse, I can send that information onto the offices of the Data Commissioner and let the law take it from there.

I've zero to gain from this exercise, apart from knowing they've more to lose that the place money they are denying me.

Thanks.

I've gotten my data from Boyles in the past for a similar reason to yours. There was no form to fill in, I just sent them a letter with €6.35 enclosed and asked for my data. They attempted to give me the runaround initially. I'll c&p some of the exchange to give you an idea:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hang on a second.
You say: The betting receipt states the terms.

But presumably, they dispute this? So is it as clear as you say it is?

Can you quote their response to you?

You can't legally enforce a bet. But you can object to the renewal of their license and you can make sure that a journalist is in court for the hearing.

Likewise, one of the sporting journalists would be interested in your story. Try Joe Duffy. There must have been other people who backed the same horse who are equally annoyed.

Brendan

I see that their rules are very clear for at least

Non-Handicap Races

2 - 4 Runners Win Only. 5 – 7 Runners 1/4 the Odds 1st, 2nd. 8 or more Runners 1/5 the Odds 1st 2nd & 3rd.

Handicap Races

2 - 4 Runners Win Only. 5 - 7 Runners 1/4 the Odds 1st, 2nd. 8 - 11 Runners 1/5 the Odds 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
12 - 15 Runners 1/4 the Odds 1st, 2nd, 3rd. 16 or more Runners 1/4 the Odds 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

Please note: Horse races with 4 runners or less, there is no place betting available and all the stake will go on to win. For example if you have €/£1 Each Way and there are only 4 runners, the bet will be settled as €/£2 win. Also, Non-Runners in a race can affect the Each-Way terms of your bet. For example, if your bet is placed in an 8 runner race, and a horse later withdraws reducing the field to 7, the Each-Way terms will change from 1/5 odds first 3 places to 1/4 odds on the first 2 places only. For overseas racing where we pay pari-mutuel returns, the each way terms will be as Determined by the local pari-mutuel rules. See overseas racing section.

I've blotted out the stake amounts.

You can see from the summary "e/w Single", ie an each way bet:

This is the bet receipt itself. Each way terms are clear, I'd have thought, i.e. 1,2,3,4,5,6.

Attachments

• FolsomBlue.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 2
  • upload_2018-4-6_16-47-31.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 3
As for jounalists, I have written to Pat Keane of the Cork Examiner, racing journalist. John Duggan of Today FM. And Leo Powell of the Irish Field, who replied by email to say that he's passed it on to a fellow journalist with an interest in bookmaker practices.

I’m annoyed that it happened with the Irish Grand National. The most valuable jumps race in the land and arguable the highest profile. And it happened with the sponsors!

Keane2097, thanks for your detailed response and I'll digest it in due course.