Data Protection Breach: organisation sent out four pages of personal information.

lexus

hi all i am looking for advise please
basically an organisation (Irish, based in dublin, private company not government entity) sent out my personal financial details (4 pages of them!) to my neighbour with a similar name. she applied for her own details in her own name and they sent her all my details instead. she sent them back with a complaint and also sent me a letter to let me know.
i am absolutely raging about this (delay of 2 weeks getting letter as i have been away). the company didnt even write to me to let me know this happened. I rang this morning and the data manager i spoke to was quite rude and abrupt and said 'ill look into it and ring you back'
the letter contained information on my mortgage, my personal loan, my repayments, outstanding balances, date of birth, pps number and more.
can anyone let me know what avenues of remedy are open to me?thanks a million

Re: Data Protection Breach!

hi clubman many thanks for reply
any sort of remedy would be welcome, an apology, a recognition that they have completely violated my privacy, a letter at least informing me that they have sent such personal records to the girl that lives next door would be nice.
also do they have to report a breach like this to the data protection commissioner themselves?

All is on the Data Protection Commissioner web site. Just count your self lucky it was just paper work. I know someone who set up internet banking for the first time a couple of months ago, not only did they get access to their own bank account, but also got access to another account as well....:eek:

OMG thats unreal!

looking up that site now thank you.

i am severely unimpressed re the breach. even more so by the rude attitude on the phone when i rang

They are generally very helpful if you give them a call. You should make a formal complaint to the Commissioner, and they will follow up from there. When it all gets sorted, make sure you let the MD of the company know that it could all have been resolved with a polite apology.

OMG thats unreal!

i am severely unimpressed re the breach. even more so by the rude attitude on the phone when i rang
Typical attitude of banks in general who think they are beyond the law. Hopefully you will get some satisfaction from the Data Protection Commissioner.

Back